Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is HC-110 no more?

Re: Is HC-110 no more?

I haven't got any direct experience with XTOL yet, but a lot of folks recommend using distilled water to mix the stock, and the shelf life is 6+ months in a full container, 2 months or so in a partially full one. With that in mind I've bought a bunch of 500ml amber Boston Rounds for storing stock, so in my 3 reel Patterson tank 1 bottle will do one processing run at 1+1, or two runs at 1+3.

If you want to keep using HC-110, you could just pour out the concentrate into 4 smaller bottles to keep it fresh longer. I'm using up my last bottle of HC-110 that "expired" January 2012, and it's still fine, and all I did was add marbles to the bottle to keep air to a minimum.

For really long shelf life I would stick with Rodinal, HC110 (or their substitues) or my preferred-Pyrocat HD in Glycol (mix it right before using).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I guess the new version of the packaging hasn't shown up on B&H yet? A search for "HC-110" yields only the one, discontinued result. Just the sight of it nearly made me cry, though. Even with the availability of substitutes, the actual, full-on discontinuance of HC-110 would pretty much be the beginning of the filmpocalypse for me. I'd have to start dressing in black and listening to Cradle of Filth in order to compensate.

Gosh, how very discouraging.

I am going to try this if I can find it again.

Just ordered the double-size from Freestyle. As has been mentioned, the familiar size is discontinued, but not the product. Freestyle also has their own copy of HC-110, if worse comes to worse.

I read a review on B&H that HC110 is now made in Germany, and that from his experience, it's different. What's the experience from others? Has it changed? Is it still a good developer?

B&H won't ship it, stating that it's only available in their N.Y. Super Store. Just checked with Freestyle, and they anticipate continued availability in liter bottles. Currently at $35.99 there. (Compared to $28.50 at B&H.) Portland's local store sells it for $40.00! Are there other, more reasonably priced options?

In the past, the EU concentrate was diluted more, don't know why the difference.

Wayne

Isn't Ilfotec HC the same thing?

There was a recent discussion on APUG about the new HC-110 packaging. Some people are saying they get different results although I asked Kodak and was told that it is the same formula.

I'm still working through a couple of the older bottles so I don't have any firsthand experience.

I just acquired 14 unopened bottles of HC110. They're all US made and have an expiration date of 2014 on them.

I don't know when these bottles were purchased new but, is the expiration date really indicative of when this stuff will go bad?????