Thread: This forum is great indeed, but…

This forum is great indeed, but…

First of all I want to thank all the people running and contributing to this forum. I started with large format photography six months ago and this forum has been of invaluable importance to me. After months of hard work and a lot of annoying mistakes I now reached a stage of feeling comfortable with this medium. Without this forum the timeframe would have been more like three years, I guess.

To me the very high standard of this forum makes it even more obvious that I miss a similar platform for disussing other than technical aspects of photography: general tendencies, important photographers, exhibitions, new books, references to other art forms, you name it…

I read Artforum and other art magazines and also look at photography magazines like Blindspot, Aperture, etc. However all these are one way media and for this don’t allow any discussion or exchange of opinion.

I would be very interested to hear if others share this desire and if maybe such a forum does already exist without me knowing of it.

Best regards from Germany

Are you familiar with the forums at APUG?

Jean-Louis Llech

Do you speak french ?
    If you do, you should try to visit the French site for Large Format photography at "Galerie Photo", as well as its two forums, one dedicated to LF photography : "Forum Galerie Photo" and the second to used material "Matériel d'occasion".
    There is also a store dedicated to Large Format Photography at "la Boutique"
    Best regards from France.

My vote for APUG as well.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Although not a very talkative forum at this stage, you might find the LensWork forums up your alley.

Actually, the discussion topics that you are mentioning would be acceptable for this forum, since they are all more or less relevant to the practice of large format photography. What we want to avoid is mostly all technical topics related to small-format photography.