Thread: Background rig

Background rig

I'm searching for a background rig that will replace the seamless set up I currently use. The accompanying photo is a shot of Richard Avedon photographing Lee Friedlander in 2002. The photo shows the kind of background rig that I'm searching for. Can anyone identify it? Can anyone identify the kind of cloth or material that is fixed to the background stand?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avedon set up.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	93331

Re: Background rig

looks like a 6x6 or 8x8 frame with bleached muslin. Matthews studio equipment makes a nice frame that breaks down and stores as one unit using it's own bolts. They, American Grip equipment, and modern studio equipment all sell the stuff you need to do this. Ultrabounce white/black may be a better way to go since it's water resistant and opaque.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rame_with.html
    or if you have $$$ http://www.samys.com/p/Reflectors---...FegWMgodomIA8A
    rigging this with one stand is a bit of a stretch though, having two c stands with sand bags is a minimum in no wind. combo stands are best but HEAVY.

email me if you have more ?'s.

Looks like a baseball pitcher's practice target w/o the target.

Great info. Thanks, Vinny!

Had a nice reply all typed out, then accidentally closed the tab. Second try, abbreviated version.

The Matthews stuff is really nice, but obviously not cheap. A 96x96" Scrim Jim with a white fabric would also work and would be a little less expensive. You can always rig something of your own, too, using PVC or metal conduit and a fabric of your choice.

Like Vinny said, C-stands or combos with sandbags are best. Some big, heavy-duty light stand with weight, a couple of grip heads, and a couple of Cardellini clamps and you're in business. Plus a couple guys to stand on the stand bases if there's any kind of wind beyond what you'd call a light breeze. Something like this turns into a sail very easily and can get out of control QUICKLY. In the photo it looks like the background is supported by a single c-stand, and that's pretty much not going to work at all unless the air is completely still.

Let us know what you do!

If you're on a budget, 2x3's can make a nice frame with a california-king white cotton bed sheet as a background material.
    Using lag-bolts and winged washers can make setup quick, and not to mention: affordable

But if you're planning to use this a lot, or just want to do it "right", go with a Matthews or American Grip 6x6/8x8 collapsible frame w/ corners and ears, and a matching size griflon or other material that suits what you're in need of.

-Dan

Sigh. Sticking with seamless is looking better and better after checking out some of the prices...

have you priced out a DIY wooden frame w/ lumber from Home Depot? Pretty inexpensive compared to MSE or American Grip.
    Its a 2hr job if you have the space, time + tools.

* Or shorter than that(2hrs) if you have buddy or two, a case of cold beer to keep everyone refreshed, and the proper tools + parts necessary *

-Dan

Ripstop nylon and pvc frame with some clamps will get you there. Doubles as scrim. Except i'd move person a bit away, to avoid getting wrinkles in focus. Or you can get collapsible botero background (i wouldnt recommend cheap chineese ones - they made with freakishly strong spring).