Thread: Thickness and dimensions of Fidelity Elite 5x4 Darkslides

Question Thickness and dimensions of Fidelity Elite 5x4 Darkslides

Hello,

I've been searching the forum for the last hour but couldn't find conclusive information, hence the thread. Could someone with a standard Fidelity Elite 5x4 holder and a calliper measure the dimensions and the thickness of the darkslide (the slide itself, not the holder). I have a holder with no slides, and I intend to make the slides out of sheet aluminium or brass. I am trying to figure how much material and what thickness to order, I'd take the measurements myself but I will not have access to my complete holders for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance!
    Ivelin

Re: Thickness and dimensions of Fidelity Elite 5x4 Darkslides

Someone on the Forum might have some spares. Worth asking. Easier than making.
    "...with the grandeur of true simplicity", Patrick White, "The Tree of Man".

It's a pretty beat up holder that's probably not going to be used much, so I decided it'd be easier to just make some from sheet metal I can source locally rather than search for spares. Probably cheaper too, an A4 sheet of aluminium is only 4-5 GBP. However, if anyone's got some, please feel free to give me a shout, I need two.

Here's what an average of 3 slides(3 separate holders) all read(Fidelity plastic-tabbed slides), each measurement is an average of 3 separate slides, 3 points length-wise along each dimension:

Width:
    4.1955 inches
    106.5 mm

Length:
    6.5625 (6+9/16) inches
    162 mm

Thickness:
    0.0285 inches
    0.71mm

FYI: aluminum in this thickness will be MUCH MORE HEAVY weight-wise than the plastic material used. Be mindful of that. Also, any sharp edges/corners/dings or other "edges" that aren't filed down or sanded with a n extremely fine abrasive will wear out the plastic channels where the slides run. Just in case that hadn't crossed your mind already

-Dan

Thanks for the precise numbers Daniel, much appreciated you've taken the time to do such thorough measurements. The thickness you've measured sort of matches my estimate of 0.6mm. From my experience the holders should also be able to accommodate a slightly thicker (and more common) 0.8mm sheet if I don't find any in 0.7. Since it's just one holder, I'm not too concerned about weight, more so that this holder will probably mostly live in the studio.

I'm aware that all edges have to be fully rounded and cleaned of any rough bits. Something that I've wondered about is the role of the slightly convex bottom side of the slide (the one opposite to the pull-tab). My guess is that it's there to ensure proper engagement with the flap, but I don't think it's a crucial design element.

Personally,
    I wouldn't worry about 0.1mm

Just use the 0.6 material, it'll help cut down the weight a bit too. And since you've stated you'll probably just be using this/these holder(s) "in studio", I wouldn't worry about the minor discrepancy in thickness...
    If you can do it cheaply, have it black-anodized(if its aluminum), that'll further help reduce any potential for flare/light bounce if there are any leaks. But if you find any, just toss the holder, they're cheap enough(almost) to be somewhat "disposable" these days. At least here in the USA, where I can still find them for $3-5 quite easily.

best of luck, post some photos of your handiwork when you're done !

-Dan

I've actually got plenty of holders for my needs, just this one has been bouncing around in my drawer for quite a while and I always meant to look up some slides for it. Looks good enough and I'd hate to toss it (unless it turns out warped or leaky of course). One cannot have too many holders! In the UK holders are also a bit pricier making it harder to let go.