Thread: New darkroom build

New darkroom build

After a year of searching for a new home that was in the city, had a basement big enough for a darkroom and office and some type of back yard, I have finally found and purchased a home.

A year ago I mentioned I had to leave my current home due to the noise and constant stream of traffic that has moved in to the neighborhood. I never thought it would be so hard to find a suitable replacement. It has taken me one year, almost to the day, but I found a perfect home with a basement made for a darkroom/office combo.

The new darkroom, dry section, as well as office will be about 950 sq ft.
    The actual darkroom portion will be about 24 feet long and about 12 feet wide.

I hope to have a double set of pocket doors to allow anyone to come and go regardless of activity in the darkroom.

It was tough to let my Durst 184 go, but it would never fit in any inner city home I looked at and it would not have fit in this house either.
    The Durst 138, 1200 and the V35 will fit and make the move with me.

It will take a few months to complete, but I will post some pix as it moves along. I hope this is the last time I ever have to move!

(Shrek)

Re: New darkroom build

We also had a surprisingly hard time buying a house in Montreal, a year+ ago (West Island). In the end we had to sacrifice a basement for a garage/workshop. I have some regrets about that, as I'm now stuffed in an attic without the headroom necessary for a large enlarger. I know the feeling about never wanting to go through it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen in Montreal View Post
    After a year of searching for a new home that was in the city, had a basement big enough for a darkroom and office and some type of back yard, I have finally found and purchased a home.

A year ago I mentioned I had to leave my current home due to the noise and constant stream of traffic that has moved in to the neighborhood. I never thought it would be so hard to find a suitable replacement. It has taken me one year, almost to the day, but I found a perfect home with a basement made for a darkroom/office combo.

The new darkroom, dry section, as well as office will be about 950 sq ft.
    The actual darkroom portion will be about 24 feet long and about 12 feet wide.

I hope to have a double set of pocket doors to allow anyone to come and go regardless of activity in the darkroom.

It was tough to let my Durst 184 go, but it would never fit in any inner city home I looked at and it would not have fit in this house either.
    The Durst 138, 1200 and the V35 will fit and make the move with me.

It will take a few months to complete, but I will post some pix as it moves along. I hope this is the last time I ever have to move!
    So the 184 is gone for sure??

Congratulations on the new house, Allen.
    If there was a perfect house, I'd buy it, too, but at least you still have a darkroom and plenty of space to work.

Congrats on the new house Allen, sucks you had to give up the 184.
    Look foreward to seeing your new darkroom progress.

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    So the 184 is gone for sure??
    I was trying to say, I would have been interested if it was available.... !!

Quote Originally Posted by gth View Post
    I was trying to say, I would have been interested if it was available.... !!
    Sorry, the 184 has shipped out. Broke my heart to let it go.

Thanks guys, it has been a long haul.
    Will process some 4x5 HP-5 in Acufine shot in the studio to end this darkroom's pages.

Hi Allen,
    It is nice that you find your new house. 24'x12' will do a very good darkroom space.
    And your Lady Durst 184 is not too far. When I will running the second darkroom with the 184 and some Durst 138, you will be welcome.