Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Portofolio Critique Please

Re: Portofolio Critique Please

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Portfolios generally have some common theme or consistency of ideas. So I'd eliminate the black and whites.

I see 13 color images when I click on "all" so you only need to drop 3 to get to your ten. I don't see any that stand out as being noticeably bad photographs, they all look equally good to me. So I'd probably choose the three to cull on the basis of leaving you with a consistent series of ten images. That would mean dropping #6 for sure since it's the only non-natural landscape and perhaps #12 and #13 since the remaining ten all include trees or portions of trees, which would lend a nice consistency to your portfolio.

But if you really like those three then drop three others. I wouldn't let consistency override the desirability of getting a critique of your favorite photographs so you can see what others think of them.
    Thanks Brian, I hand't thought of restricting to trees. I do wind up shooting them an aweful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    I'd offer that you may want choose according to which images show the direction you want to move in or that you haven't quite figured out yet, rather than which are strongest. People often go to workshops, reviews, and critiques for feedback and ideas, but mainly choose images to impress.
    Very good point. In this case it's a printing workshop, so while some of the feedback will probably be on comp etc the bulk will be on the technical qualities of the prints. I'm nowhere near happy with how any these look printed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvmyviewcam View Post
    They are pretty much all nice John.
    One I liked the least was the big and small tree.
    Good luck!
    Thanks Iluv, knowing what's not popular is helpful. The ironic thing is it's my favorite print. However as I'd like to start selling these beyond friends/family someday it's good to get an idea of what to show people and what to just keep for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ImSoNegative View Post
    I liked them all as well my favorites are 2 7 9 18 no. 6 is really cool looking, looks like a transformer. Good luck with your workshop
    Thanks ImSo.

The Blue photo of the tree in the mist is outstanding... Love this photograph... use this one as the starting point and add others around it..

Trees seems to be a theme worth exploring some more for you...

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Very nice, clean, and interesting colour work - I also like the glacial rock B&W (is that Olmsted Point or is my visual memory suspect?). Curious about which ones were digitally captured?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Thank you Leonard and Richard.

Richard, 7 and 17 were shot with a D50, 8 and 10 with a D800e, 12 with a 5d, and 13 and 14 with a D200.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    Thank you Leonard and Richard.

Richard, 7 and 17 were shot with a D50, 8 and 10 with a D800e, 12 with a 5d, and 13 and 14 with a D200.
    Thanks John. And was 18 at Olmsted Point?
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K. View Post
    Thanks John. And was 18 at Olmsted Point?
    Yes. A year or two ago on New Years day. People were ice skating on Tenaya.