Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is this???

Re: What is this???

My problem is the rear lens elements are held together with the knurled black outer ring as seen on the photo at the thread beginning. Is this threaded on the brass body? I've never taken apart a large format lens before and I don't want to do any permanent damage.

I have not disassembled an Optar like this but I would guess that the knurled ring needs to be unscrewed to access the rear element. You may want to remove the lens from the lens board before starting the disassembly. Expect that knurled ring to be difficult to remove. Others here may have a more definitive answer about your Optar.

NatePotter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by stantheman13 View Post
    My problem is the rear lens elements are held together with the knurled black outer ring as seen on the photo at the thread beginning. Is this threaded on the brass body? I've never taken apart a large format lens before and I don't want to do any permanent damage.
    The "knurled black outer ring" is the visible part of the mounting for the rear cell of the lens, it will unscrew from the shutter. On the inside, there will be either a retaining ring, holding the glass into the mounting, or the edge of the mounting will be turned over to retain the glass.
    If you can get the glass out of the metal mounting, it will be possible to recement the glass. This lens may use balsm, or it may use another type of adhesive.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

I have looked at the cell mount for some Wollensak raptars (version of the optar, I think). These have been very professionally sealed with a compressed alloy edge.
    There is no obvious way on these to get at the glass lens. In fact, it looks impossible as there is a protruding part of the lens (1mm) which makes mechanical (file/saw) very difficult. This is often the "no-go" problem for cement replacement.