Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

Re: 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

It seems very expensive at $20 a sheet, but 8X10 film in not much cheaper after processing.

I agree it is too expensive for me.

I am gravitating to 5X7 as my prefered visualization format, camera weight and film cost.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    I only wish the Impossible Project was more interested creating a higher quality product and would drop all of that, "ooh it looks cool all smeared and scratched" If I have to pay that much per shot, I want it to look perfect and not look like some alternative process that I could whip up myself for a fraction of the cost!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    I only wish the Impossible Project was more interested creating a higher quality product and would drop all of that, "ooh it looks cool all smeared and scratched" If I have to pay that much per shot, I want it to look perfect and not look like some alternative process that I could whip up myself for a fraction of the cost!
    What makes you think they're not interested in creating a high quality product? The film has gotten better and better over just a few years. The new color material addresses several of the biggest complaints about the material, and they're improving it constantly. It's not like they have a bunch of people in tight jeans and oversized glasses coming up with new funky defects.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by ben syverson View Post
    what makes you think they're not interested in creating a high quality product? The film has gotten better and better over just a few years. The new color material addresses several of the biggest complaints about the material, and they're improving it constantly. It's not like they have a bunch of people in tight jeans and oversized glasses coming up with new funky defects.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Bas,

A blowing fuse will case a small "bang" ... you applied 230VAC/50Hz on a 110VAC unit and that fuse will pop instantaneously. A step-down transformer may do the job but be aware that the AC grid in the Netherlands is 50Hz while the typical Polaroid processors are designed for 60Hz. Worst case the motor will run a bit slower (not sure about that as I'm in no position to try at the current time)

When the cap blows it is a load bang with smoke and some odor of burned oil.

I suggest to anyone picking one of these old units up to pro-emptively replace the oil-filled (non-PCB) motor start/run capacitor with a modern MP type cap (0.8uF at 450 VAC will do). It is a 15 minute exercise and prevents a lot more work and inconvenience.

YMMV
    Thanks for your reply (sorry for my late reply). I have ordered a converter form 350VAC to 110VAC (600W max). Unforntunally, the processor doesn't work I can't power it up. I hear no sound or something. So I don't think it's doing anything. Bigger problem is that I found out that the gearing wheel inside the processor that drives the wheels on the rollers is broken. Only 3/4 or 1/2 of the gearing wheel is inside, and to work properly it has to be 360 degrees round. Too bad. I have bought a processor for quite a lot of money that doesn't work (not to mention the trouble I have gotten with getting the package in The Netherlands).

Luckily I also have a hand cranked Calumet processor, that I bought with my Sinar.

Good remark on the pro-emptively replace the capacitor with a MP type. If I find a new processor, I will go to an electrical store and ask if they can sell me that.

Sorry to hear about the rollers, that is not an easy fix, you need to find another set of rollers ... they do pop up from time to time on the auction site

Did you replace the 3.5A fuse inside the unit ? I suspect that to be blown ...

Not sure about your convertor ... 350VAC to 110VAC doesn't make sense since I believe the AC power grid in your area to be 230 VAC ...

I carry the right MP cap most of the time in my drawers as I've by now fixed quite a few Polaroid processors ....

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    Sorry to hear about the rollers, that is not an easy fix, you need to find another set of rollers ... they do pop up from time to time on the auction site

Did you replace the 3.5A fuse inside the unit ? I suspect that to be blown ...

Not sure about your convertor ... 350VAC to 110VAC doesn't make sense since I believe the AC power grid in your area to be 230 VAC ...

I carry the right MP cap most of the time in my drawers as I've by now fixed quite a few Polaroid processors ....
    That is a typo, I have the 230 to 110 VAC converter

I have to check here the fuse is, I will get a replacement for it. Thanks.

Good to hear about blowing fuses. I bought my processor 4 years ago as soon as I heard Impossible got the 8x10 machine. I got it for 25 euro's in Germany. With two holders and I already got a holder with my camera wich I bought a year earlier. I am about to buy my first pack of 8 x 10 film from IP.

And I see the Impossible project as a kind of crowdfunding thing. It is not perfect but by buying their imperfect film they get money to keep on perfecting their products. And that is fine by me. I don't buy a lot but from time to time I do get some.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com

wel in the meantime I have blown the fuse. But I discovered it works without it as well. Now I have to start processing and shooting (in reversed order) some film.
    Stupid questions deserve stupid answers.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    http://www.new55project.com