Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

Re: 8x10 polaroid processor how much?

Quote Originally Posted by dimento View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has bought an 8x10 polaroid processor recently and what they cost?

Looking at Impossible Film for a special project and just wondering "how deep the rabbit hole is" so to speak

Thanks!
    There are a few processors on eBay right now, ranging from 400 - 2300. There's even someone selling a NOS Calumet manual process for $1000. Personally, I always like the manual devices.

In addition, if you're feeling adventurous, you could do it diy -
    http://new55project.blogspot.com/201...e-instant.html

You don't need the film changing tent with the fancy IR video monitor setup shown in the video. If you're used to loading film in the dark, you can do it without the IR video monitor setup. You just need to get good at attaching the film to the paper in the dark, then putting the whole thing in a light tight envelope and running it through a sheet metal brake! The roller style used in the video is about $200 new.

Quote Originally Posted by dimento View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has bought an 8x10 polaroid processor recently and what they cost?
    Before the IP films came out people couldn't give those processors away. I rarely see them for less than $500 on eBay now. In the 90's I got one for free from the Polaroid Points promotion. I ended up trading it for a Matthews dot and finger kit. If only I knew then what I know now.

That's great to hear. I have one with a couple holders that takes up space. Have 4 sheets of color left to shoot, but never get around to it. Though they are pretty heavy so those high prices obviously take that into account.

I checked with Golden Manufacturing, they are now producing the manual processor for $800 + shipping, brand new. You still need the holder.

If anyone bothers to watch how IP does it, they will be surprised at what they use.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    If anyone bothers to watch how IP does it, they will be surprised at what they use.
    Or, you could just tell us here. I've looked into a diy setup, not a bad way to go, costs a lot less.

Quote Originally Posted by nonuniform View Post
    I checked with Golden Manufacturing, they are now producing the manual processor for $800 + shipping, brand new. You still need the holder.
    Do you have any contact info or a website? That's a lot better price than they are selling for on eBay right now.

It's Golden Engineering, I had the name wrong: http://www.goldenengineering.com/news.html

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post

Be also prepared for exploding motor capacitors ... All 3 of mine exploded and I had to fix the units and clean the mess out.
    This is an interesting remark. I have recently bought a processor on ebay and recieved it today. It was shipped from the USA to The Netherlands. I tried to to power it up, but the fuses blow immediately when I connect the power cord. I hope (and think) it's only the wrong voltage and a converter will do. But I have heard a bang (not a big one), could this be the motor capacitor? I am not that electrician....

Quote Originally Posted by Bas de Meijer View Post
    This is an interesting remark. I have recently bought a processor on ebay and recieved it today. It was shipped from the USA to The Netherlands. I tried to to power it up, but the fuses blow immediately when I connect the power cord. I hope (and think) it's only the wrong voltage and a converter will do. But I have heard a bang (not a big one), could this be the motor capacitor? I am not that electrician....
    Bas,

A blowing fuse will case a small "bang" ... you applied 230VAC/50Hz on a 110VAC unit and that fuse will pop instantaneously. A step-down transformer may do the job but be aware that the AC grid in the Netherlands is 50Hz while the typical Polaroid processors are designed for 60Hz. Worst case the motor will run a bit slower (not sure about that as I'm in no position to try at the current time)

When the cap blows it is a load bang with smoke and some odor of burned oil.

I suggest to anyone picking one of these old units up to pro-emptively replace the oil-filled (non-PCB) motor start/run capacitor with a modern MP type cap (0.8uF at 450 VAC will do). It is a 15 minute exercise and prevents a lot more work and inconvenience.

YMMV