Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hello all I'm dave im based in plymouth in devon in the dirty southwest of the UK. New to 5x4 having only played with it a few times while in uni studying photography but mainly worked in medium format thru that time so loving the ground glass after a hiatus of just shooting digtal. Just picked myself up a crown graphic and a few darkslides and took it on my 1st shoot yesterday round the Dartmoor national park so cant wait to see the end results of that.
    Thanks Dave

Re: New to the forum

Greetings Dave. You'll get all the help that you need here.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

Welcome Dave. Look forward to seeing some of your work. The forum has been a great help to me.

Your reference to 5X4 reminds me of a question I've been meaning to pose here. Why is it 5X4 over there and across the pond here we say 4X5? Do you call a piece of framing lumber a 4X2 or a 6X2? Perhaps we're still a young enough group of optimists over here that we're always look up? Maybe it's 5X4 over there because the UK is so old that it represents the downward slide? Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by dave clayton View Post
    Hello all I'm dave im based in plymouth in devon in the dirty southwest of the UK. New to 5x4 having only played with it a few times while in uni studying photography but mainly worked in medium format thru that time so loving the ground glass after a hiatus of just shooting digtal. Just picked myself up a crown graphic and a few darkslides and took it on my 1st shoot yesterday round the Dartmoor national park so cant wait to see the end results of that.
    Thanks Dave
    Hi and Welcome to the group. I am new here as well. It is a good feeling to return to real photography. :=}
    To capture a photograph is to record a moment - To make a photograph is to create a moment.
    - gerry schnaible

its a very good feeling tho after my trip to get my images from the last shoot processed its looking like like the overtime may have to be taken to pay for the costs of processing.
    And many thanks for the warm welcome
    dave

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Welcome, Dave! Do you have a dark room or area at home? You can save yourself plenty of money by developing film at home. The equipment and chemicals are affordable, though developing in color needs better ventilation than developing B&W. There are B&W chemicals that are nearly odor-free. I send out my color film as I just don't photograph that much with it, but I do all of my own B&W processing.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

will be doing my own processing on the black and whites soon. im looking at picking up the MOD54 holder and paterson tank soon, the main issue is finding a scanner took my film in today and was quoted about a £5 to scan so may work out better if i can find a scanner 1st so i can do something with the images i shoot

Hi Dave. I've been to Plymouth and surrounds. Would love to go back with my camera again one day. Welcome!

Well my shots are now back ignoring the fact the numpty scanned em backwards. there is a monster light leak in the frame after some looking with a high power lamp managed to find out the bellows is not joined to the body and has ruined all my images.
    So looks like the kit will be going back

looks like bessy the crown graphic will be living to fight on. took the back off to see the state of the bellows from the back where the light leak is only to find it had been "fixed" the clip that held the bellows on was moved and the metal was bent managed to refit it and check and seal looks all ok now