Thread: source for geared track's "stop section"

multiplex

source for geared track's "stop section"

hi there

i just realized that the tiny section of teeth that oppose the geared knob for the front rise of my camera is a tiny bit too worn down to actually stop & lock it down the front of my camera. i'd contact the manufacturer directly ( szabad in sweden ), but they haven't made cameras in 30-40 years and my 8x10 is one of about 5 or 10 that were created.

does anyone know of a source for this type of hardware?

or would it be more cost effective for me to bring to a machinist and have them make me one with slightly longer teeth ( guessing $30)?

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

- john

wfwhitaker

I think the best advice would be to check with S.K. Grimes and see if they can't help you.

You might find something in the way of a part from another vintage camera which could be modified for your use. You might find an off-the-shelf modern part which would fit. But I think that would be lucky. Some small parts suppliers you could try are McMaster-Carr, Small Parts, Inc., Boston Gear and W. M. Berg.

John- If the track is seated in a notch, you can remove it (the old cameras I've reworked had just a few small brads holding each piece in place and it was easy to pry up with a small screwdriver) and put some material behind it to make it stick out further towards the gear. Assuming that you have some teeth left on the track, this should give it enough bite. I've used as thin of material as a strip of regular printer paper (maybe vellum or other thin plastic will work). You might have to use new brads to reattach.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up