Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Torpedo Level

Replacement Torpedo Level

My 4" two direction plastic torpedo level went swimming on Saturday and I have had one hell of a time finding a replacement.I have been to Lowes, Home Depot, Amazon, Ace as well as many places on line and I will damned if there is anything less than 8-9" levels. I have gotten rather acclimated to a standard torpedo level that is about 4" long with two vials that fits nicely in your shirt pocket for checking backs and beds of LF cameras when you cannot see the top of your camera where they are usually located.

Anyone know where I can find such a 4" torpedo level that will fit my bill?

Thanks in advance.

Check a machinist supply company.

Or here.

http://store.yahoo.com/hvactool-store/pocketlevel.html

A quick, easy and cheap solution is slice the end off one of those 9" Home Depot levels. What you then have is a 5" light weight two direction level for just a few bucks.

Good light............

Woodworking tool catalogs have them for setting up saws - try the yuppie places like http://www.garrettwade.com

Jean-Louis Llech

Have a look at McMaster & Carr
    Catalog page 2097 - bottom, or directly type the Ref.# :

Line levels :
    3" long, lightweight levels fasten onto line for long-distance leveling. Level vials are acrylic.
    - Ref.# 2141A11 (aluminium) $2.17
    - Ref.# 2141A12 (plastic) $1.64

Or the same as Bob Salomon found, but 4 cents less ;-)
    Pocket Level
    Only 5" long, this plastic level has an acrylic vial, a magnetic pick-up on one end for retrieving metal parts, and a metal pocket clip. Bottom surface has a V-groove. Level is 5/8" Ht. x 1/2" Wd.
    - Ref.# 2034A15 $2.85

Lee Valley is an excellent source for things like this, as well as woodworking and gardening supplies. Good quality, very reasonable prices and glorious full color large format illustrated catalogues.

One of their smallest levels is only the size of a credit card:

http://www.leevalley.com/gifts/page.asp?SID=7181D0EDFF&ccurrency=2&page=48816&category=4,104,45476

I ordered and received the Lee Valley credit card size level noted in the message above. I haven't used it extensively yet, but it is almost weightless and easy to carry in ones shirt pocket, or a small pocket on ones bag. For right/left leveling it will fit inside and snug against the corner inside the ground glass frame. For front back leveling of the bed the long side works well. This side can also be placed against the lens flange to level the front standard or directly against the ground glass to level the rear. It is an amazing little device and it isn't expensive.

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond. What a great resource to be able to call upon. Just ordered two of the Lee Valley levels as it is exactly what I was looking for and I also bookmarket the McMaster and Carr web site as well.

Onward!

A quick note: for wood & brass field camera users in the UK, have a look at http://www.tool-up.co.uk/shop/diy/FAISPLMNP.html. Looks just the ticket...

Cheers,