Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patience........grasshopper(s)

Patience........grasshopper(s)

Speaking to my fellow old timers here. I find my patience button being pushed more frequently recently and my reservoir gets lower the older I get. "Active members" has jumped up to the 2900's again (great) and the number of super basic basic questions about LF and film etc. here have skyrocketed of late. But then I realize that in the old days before the digital tsunami most people were moving up from small or medium format (like I did) and probably had a fair amount of experience with film, exposure etc. before attempting LF. Now however many people moving up to LF have little or no film experience and are taking the mighty leap into the unknown to LF. Its a totally different world.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Re: Patience........

I was one of those new to film about 3 years ago. And I started with 4x5 then added medium format. I couldn't have done it without the patience of many around here, including yourself.

Thank you! I hope it wasn't too painful!

Let's keep helping those who are new, and who are willing to give something back in return. I, for one, have contributed a bit back here, but I also consider my vast sums spent on film as helping to support all of us as companies like Efke and Kodak cut back or consider cutting back.

David
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The growing number of new folks is a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    The growing number of new folks is a good thing!
    absolutely!

I wish I could remember how stupid I used to be in the beginning but I have blocked such painful memories!
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Re: Patience........grasshopper(s).

Quote Originally Posted by David Aimone View Post
    I was one of those new to film about 3 years ago. And I started with 4x5 then added medium format. I couldn't have done it without the patience of many around here, including yourself.

Thank you! I hope it wasn't too painful!

Let's keep helping those who are new, and who are willing to give something back in return. I, for one, have contributed a bit back here, but I also consider my vast sums spent on film as helping to support all of us as companies like Efke and Kodak cut back or consider cutting back.

David
    Glad I could help.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I guess I am an old-timer...a bit over 6 years on this forum and 30+ years using LF.

Patience is required for most things in life. Ten years packing mules and then 16 years (so far) of raising triplets, added to the years of LF photography certainly has helped me to develop some patience. I also am the darkroom tech at a university and answer the same questions over and over with each new batch of eager students. Just a few minutes ago I was asked "What does '28mm focal length' mean?" How does one describe it to someone new to photograph? Stumped me for a second or two...it is something I just take for granted!

So I do not mind answering the same questions here. I do dislike it when veteran members just blurt out "We have discussed this before -- do a search!" Especially without providing a link to past discussions that might help. Besides being rude, who knows what new way of looking at the question we would miss? What interesting and enlightening tangents would not be taken in the thread?

There is no requirement to answer questions, so those who lack the patience to face the same questions should not bother reading the posts...and especially not bother answering them!

Vaughn

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Patience........grasshopper(s)

This brings up something that I think would be good: a LF wiki. I know that these are relatively easy to set up, and I and my team at work edit these for documentation and communication. I looked at Wikipedia, but I'm of two minds about getting involved with that.

The reason for a wiki specific to this site is because Wikipedia has rules about manufacturers putting in an article about their own stuff. I would be fine with Mod54, et al, putting in pages about their products. Wikipedia also wants things in a certain format, etc.

Then when someone asks a basic question, then we can point them to the wiki pages.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

My new wife is a mentor on the physics forum. The forum includes members who are top of their field. During the nuclear melt-down following the earthquake in Japan, many news papers were quoting the physics forum for latest opinions on what was going on. Even with this incredible talent pool, the forum's number one objective is helping physics student with their homework.

Perhaps on a more humble scale, this forum includes members who are top of the field of large format photography. Given the frequency of our rants about the decline of our medium, perhaps educating and supporting students and new practitioners of large format photography should be our number one objective. If we made it an explicit part of our mission there might be some new ways to organize ourselves to provide that kind of support.

I have learned much from this site, and its members. I would like to point out two in paticular. Sandy King and Ian Grant , both have helped me on technical details in different processes and have been very generous and open to any stupid question I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    absolutely!

I wish I could remember how stupid I used to be in the beginning but I have blocked such painful memories!
    I wish I could remember how stupid I am now, but I have blocked such painful memories.