Thread: Berlebach 3-section Tripods

Berlebach 3-section Tripods

I've been using a Berlebach 2-section tripod with my 8x10 (Masterview) for a while. I like it because it was very reasonably priced (Calumet closeout for just over $100), is light for an 8x10 tripod, and has an integral leveling ball, which eliminates the need for a separate head. The problem is that it is quite bulky--about 3 feet long closed. I'd like to do some travelling with the 8x10, and I want to find a more compact tripod. I see that Berlebach lists on its web site a 3-section tripod, similar to the one I have, which closes down to about 2 feet long (a big difference in practical terms) with a max height of about 4 feet 4 inches--probably enough for 8x10.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Any other suggestions for a well-priced, travel-ready 8x10 tripod?

Chris,

I have a Berlebach like the one you describe, and understand your wanting to get a more compact one. I think, however, unless you are elevationally-challenged, a 4'4" max height tripod will be a real pain in the back, neck, and anything else that will be in a strain while you're composing and focusing the camera. I'm 5'11" and like my tripod to be somewhere in the 4'8" range.

Here's another thing to consider. You mention max height, but if this is with the center column raised, you'll have less stability. Just adding the third leg joint will lessen stability somewhat.

Just my 2 cents.

DG

I've owned a Berlebach Report 8023 tripod for two months now. It's a three section tripod that I fitted witha Manfrotto 029 head - more than enough for my field 8x10 camera. Of course, it's a large tripod, nothing like the small one you're talking about.

My two observations. First, the Berlebachs are so well built, for such a reasonable price, that I'd gladly buy another one. Second, a 52 inches tripod means that the center of your 8x10 GG will be about 57-58 inches from the groud. That might be OK with a 25 mm or MF camera, where composition and focusing doesn't take so long, but five minutes under the dark cloth will be a real pain in the back

I'd chose a larger model. My own 8023 weighs 2.8 kg, is 69 cm long without the head (about 28 inches) and raises to 176 cm with the center column (about 71 inches) or close to five feet without. Add a head and you'll find out that the center of the GG is about 65-66 inches above the ground - much better.