Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CF vs Aluminum, 4 vs 3 leg

Drew Wiley

Re: CF vs Aluminum, 4 vs 3 leg

Carbon tubing is easy to reglue using an appropriate epoxy. No big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I've had a Feisol for about 3 years and a Gitzo 1325 for about 15. One of the legs on the Gitzo came unglued at the top several years ago. The Feisol is fine (though obviously not nearly as old as the Gitzo). I don't mention this to argue with you but rather because your experience with your Feisol may not be a typical problem.
    Yes, very true, it's hard to manufacture a 100% success rate. Basically, any anecdotal review should be read with a "your mileage may vary" point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    My feisol is on 6 years and counting with no signs of any problem. I don't know which experience, yours or mine, is typical.
    No idea. Personally, I prefer the Gitzo GT3530LS that I bought regardless of what happened to the Feisol. So, there's that.

"Walking around" urban shooting—not hiking off? Whatever your final kit, consider a set of heavy duty luggage wheels. You will be able to bring along amenities like clothing,food and water . . .maybe a folding stool to sit on (or stand on).
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Years ago I bought a 3 section CF Gitzo. I really wish I had got the 4 section version. The smaller collapsed size would be enjoyed. I haven't had the same tripod in both 3 and 4 section versions so my impressions aren't scientific but I haven't felt my 4 section tripod has lost rigidity due to the 4th section. I doubt that any significant torsional rigidity is lost by going to 4 sections: the bending force should be greatest near the head. Think of a lever. The force far from the load is small compared to next to the load.

Didn't he ask about 4 leg vs. 3 leg. I have yet to see what purpose the 4 leg tripods actually serve for field work except building your biceps more.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Drew Wiley

Kirk - the 4-leg versions aren't necessarily any heavier because the final section tends to be smaller diameter. They can be very nice indeed if one needs to store them sideways atop a backpack or in an airline carry-on. I put mine right under the
    top backpack flap so it can be quickly accessed in the mtns, when all the rest of the pack is loaded with whatever, and all kinds of other things are attached to it. For dayhiking I just strap a wooden Ries to the outside of the pack, but it's effectively more than twice the weight of a comparable height CF tripod.

Dude.....4 legged not 4 sections.

like this Novaflex is what I am referring to:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quadropod_1091_komplett_650px.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	93016
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

That's a.....a...QUADAPOD!!! CooooowUL! That's only for REALLY BIG DSLRS! Hehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Noah B View Post
    Hey guys, I'm in the market for a new tripod for a 3 pound 4x5 with a lens, probably adding up to maybe 3.5 lbs total. I'm looking at Induro tripods right now, specifically the AT and CT 213 models. The only difference between the two is .8 pounds and $200 more dollars. My main use for this setup is an all day walk around type gig. I'm planning to put all this in a backpack and walk around for hours at a time, and wondering if those .8 pounds will make a huge difference. Any input on a lightweight tripod for a camera of this weight? Thanks!
    I purchased the AT-213 leg set (AKB-2) a couple of years ago, with a ball head, and love the pod. I soon realized the ball head too fishy with my Calumet cc-401, so I swapped out for an Induro PHT-2 3-way pan head. It came with a carry bag plus the strap can clip directly to the legs. My only other mod was to buy the spike feet to replace the rubber ones for field work. The legs and head can be purchased as a set for reasonable money in either the CF or alloy versions, with either ball or pan heads, as the adventure series.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian