Thread: Sinar digital shutter and exposure probe

Sinar digital shutter and exposure probe

Hi
    I saw advertised on ebay a digital shutter for sinar. I have heard that these are very good units , work well and are great technology. How much should I pay for it?
    Lukas

Re: Sinar digital shutter and exposure probe

You should pay the minimum bid difference between you and the next losing bidder.
    Completed listings last went for $385, but then you could check that yourself. An analogue sinar shutter might very well cost that.

Be cautioned: while the Sinar-Copal Auto-Aperture shutter is a fine piece of engineering, and can be adjusted and possibly repaired by good technicians, the Sinar Digital Shutter cannot be repaired and is not supported on any level, anywhere, even by Sinar. Consider when formulating a bid that while you may be purchasing something which works, in theory, at the moment, the odds, the chances of the Digital shutter remaining in your service in perpetuity are very small.

I would caution you further that the portable power supplies for these shutters are now the better part of two decades old, and will need professional re-celling almost certainly. The plug-in power supply may function, but then you are limited to shooting no farther into the world than you have outlets and extension cords to cover.

Think carefully, sir, before parting with money hard earned.
    My darkroom used to be a meat freezer.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post
    Be cautioned: while the Sinar-Copal Auto-Aperture shutter is a fine piece of engineering, and can be adjusted and possibly repaired by good technicians, the Sinar Digital Shutter cannot be repaired and is not supported on any level, anywhere, even by Sinar. Consider when formulating a bid that while you may be purchasing something which works, in theory, at the moment, the odds, the chances of the Digital shutter remaining in your service in perpetuity are very small.

I would caution you further that the portable power supplies for these shutters are now the better part of two decades old, and will need professional re-celling almost certainly. The plug-in power supply may function, but then you are limited to shooting no farther into the world than you have outlets and extension cords to cover.

Very sound counsel Captain. Very sound indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_joe6 View Post

Thanks for the wise counsel