Thread: which equipments for 10 x 8 negatives?

which equipments for 10 x 8 negatives?

hi, what kind of equipments do I need to print up to 10 x 8 negatives ?

could anybody give me some idea about automated processors? and what is it for ?

many thanks

didi

didi,

A piece of glass, a rubber mat, a timer and a light bulb for contacts. For enlargements, use an elderly Elwood, 229mm Ilex Copy Paragon and an appropriate easel. For a safe light I use a GE Guide lamps(night light) for panchro film. I develop prints in trays, though I've added a versa-lab print washer for washing. I dry on home made screens---nylon window screens over 1"x2"s. Someday I"d like to try ferro-typing. It works for me, but I like to keep things simple.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I think you'll find most of the "automated" processors, such as the Jobo processors, are oriented toward film development, not print development. There have been a few automated processors for prints over the years, mostly for color prints, but the majority of B&W print development, outside formal labs, is done in trays. The Jobo film processors are available in several models, and you'll find considerable information about them in the archives here (use the search function, and look for "Jobo").

Enlargers for 8x10 film tend to be large and expensive. John mentions the old 8x10 Elwood enlargers, but they seem to be in short supply. At least I haven't been able to locate one, and I've been casually looking for a couple of years. There are also several models of large Durst enlargers that handle 8x10 film, but they were aimed at large professional labs, and are quite expensive, even used. Calumet bought the Zone VI line years ago, and there was an adapter kit that modified the Zone VI 5x7 enlarger to 8x10. They come up on the used market (eBay) from time to time, but have officially been discontinued by Calumet. Beseler also makes an adapter kit for the two models of 4x5 enlargers they have. Aside from Durst, as far as I know, the Beseler is the only commercially available 8x10 enlarger now available to hobbyists as new equipment. The cost of the Beseler 8x10 adapted enlarger runs around $3600-$4500 or so, depending on model, etc. Enlargers for 4x5 and smaller film formats are much less expensive and more convenient to use. Bargains come up all the time on eBay.

Thus, many 8x10 shooters make contact prints using some sort of contact print frame, available from various photo supply stores. As John mentions, however, contact printing can be as simple as a piece of plate glass to hold the negative in contact with the printing paper. I use the light from my 4x5 enlarger to make contact prints, so I have both more control and a more collimated light source, but a bare light bulb can also be used. Some alternate-process mediums, such as Platinum/Palladium prints require either sunlight or special light sources. Another option for 8x10 is to scan the film, and make digital prints and enlargements. There are several desktop scanners that will handle 8x10 film, or professional drum scans can be obtained from various pre-press services.

If you want an 8x10 enlarger, don't be discouraged by the prices of new, and some used equipment, there are bargains to be had. This very subject came up in another thread a while back, where the poster insisted that the market for 8x10 enlargers was competitive and bargains rare, but the 8x10 enlarger on auction and under discussion at the time sold for $200 to the sole bidder. I bought my 8x10 enlarger, in near mint condition, with Schneider lenses, for $500. The move to digital technology by many pro labs has displaced many 8x10 enlargers, and few home labs can accomodate them, so there are real bargains to be had. Good luck.

If you want to enlarge your 8x10 negatives, and aren't in a position to find, buy, or use an 8x10 enlarger in a traditional darkroom, you might consider buying a flat bed scanner that will scan 8x10 negatives - there are several out there, including one by Epson that's pretty inexpensive - and printing digitally. That's what I did when faced with the fact that I couldn't fit an 8x10 enlarger in my darkroom even if I could find one at a reasonable price. I've been very pleased with the results.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I have for sale a very clean Elwood 8x10 enlarger. Enlarger comes with two Kodak enlarging lenses on Elwood boards, 7.5" and 10". The unit is currently mounted on a very stable 4' x 4' base that I built out of 2x4's and MDF. I will not to ship the enlarger but will try to work out delivery possibilities within a reasonable distance from Dallas, TX if required

Included with the Elwood are 3 hard rubber Kodak 8x10 developing tanks, a couple stainless wash tanks, film hangers, etc. Bottom line is that I'm getting out of large format photography all together.

Also have a beautiful Beseler 4x5 enlarger with motor drive. This unit comes with the stock condenser head, a cold light head, a dichlor color head, and a Minolta strobe head. Please email me for photos and any questions that you might have for either enlarger.

Price is somewhat negotable and preference given to who can get this stuff out of my basement the quickest. The Elwood without the base could fit into a Crown Vic or larger vehicle. If you want the base, it just fits in the back of a Excursion or of course a pick up. The Beseler 4x5 comes with its table base which would be best transported in a SUV.

I will try to put together a "package" of dark room items for each enlarger and should have that information available in the next day or two. Like I said, this stuff has got to go and I might as well clear out as much of it as I can to whoever purchases the enlargers.

Please contact me at gdobson@juno.com

Thanks, George