Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Large Format Wiki

Re: Large Format Wiki

Any news/progress on this? I'm still super-stoked to contribute!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

I've been reviewing packages. I'm going to go with MediaWiki for the wiki software. The contents can be downloaded, although the data is in a MediaWiki-specific XML format. It has a vBulletin plugin, too. Most of them (including MediaWiki) use a dorky markup language so people don't need to learn HTML.

I'll get a host service, and then get some stuff up, along with invitations for editors.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Good news!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I've been reviewing packages. I'm going to go with MediaWiki for the wiki software. The contents can be downloaded, although the data is in a MediaWiki-specific XML format. It has a vBulletin plugin, too. Most of them (including MediaWiki) use a dorky markup language so people don't need to learn HTML.

I'll get a host service, and then get some stuff up, along with invitations for editors.
    Tin Can

Would love to help out... With as much text as I write per week on photography, a tiny bit more won't hurt

Would this be for Large Format only or would darkroom stuff be included?
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

The wiki will be about everything view camera, large format, film, darkroom, digital, whatever. I'm not going to restrict it.

I think that the general structure would be that each section would have a "what works for me" part. For instance, if one editor's process is different from another, then there will be two sub-pages detailing their individual processes. So say there's a section on aligning enlargers, there could be two or more sections on what people do in their darkrooms for enlarger alignment.

The main thing is to get things down so that other people can learn. Paulr. commented here that when he wanted to get back into film after a hiatus, he was very dependent on his notes.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

I've setup and managed wikis made with mediawiki. I like it a lot and think it's a great choice. Let me know if you need any help. The data is stored in a database and can be dumped out a bunch of ways for backup/export as needed. If you can backup a mysql database, you've backed up the wiki.

Back up is vital and essential, or don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I've setup and managed wikis made with mediawiki. I like it a lot and think it's a great choice. Let me know if you need any help. The data is stored in a database and can be dumped out a bunch of ways for backup/export as needed. If you can backup a mysql database, you've backed up the wiki.
    Tin Can

OK, the site name will be viewcamerawiki.org. I just got the domain name and I'm using a hoster I've used for years. Probably by Friday I'll have the software set up.

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    OK, the site name will be viewcamerawiki.org. I just got the domain name and I'm using a hoster I've used for years. Probably by Friday I'll have the software set up.
    Tin Can