Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joshua Tree, Bodie, Yosemite (?), Sequoia

Joshua Tree, Bodie, Yosemite (?), Sequoia

I will be driving down to phoenix on Tuesday to take my camper trailer out of storage, planning to go on to Joshua Tree for several days of photos.

This is the third spring for Joshua Tree and I hope to get some night photos that were impossible last year because of high winds (40-50 mph) and dust for the three days I stayed there. It was calm on the fourth day and I did an hour of morning photos but I had to leave to meet a friend at Three Rivers.

When I get what I want, I was thinking of going up to Bodie for a couple of days. Again I have to meet a friend at Three Rivers (jazz festival) on the eleventh and am looking for the shortest way from Bodie. If I could cut across Yosemite on 120 it looks like that would shorten the trip by many miles.

To some of you Californians in the know, maybe you can help me out. From what I can find, 120 is not open until May 1st. Is that cut into stone? Do they not plow it until then? From the thread 'Whether in Yosemite' it is indicated that snows were light this year. Around here improved roads are plowed and open at 11,000 feet (except for the shelf roads).

If Yosemite is not open I will likely head up to Sequoia and take my chances. In the past it has been open at mid-April, but on some occasions chains have been required.

If anyone will be shooting in these areas next week, let me know and we could arrange to meet. I expect to be in the Belle campground with a small, white, Scamp trailer.
    al

Preston Birdwell

Re: Joshua Tree, Bodie, Yosemite (?), Sequoia

Al,

It is unlikely that Hwy 120 will be open at the time of your trip. However, you should keep an eye on the Yosemite website and also the CalTrans Mountain Highways report.

If you do go to Bodie and 120 is not open, you can head south on 395 to CA 178 West. This road goes over Walker Pass, down the Kern River Canyon and eventually to Bakersfield on 99. You would then go north toward Visalia and Three Rivers.

Sounds like a nice trip! Have fun!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

What Preston said. Snow pack is ~50% (we'll know better on April 1). The Tioga Rd. has a couple feet and is bare in some spots, but the NPS likely won't even begin plowing until mid April. I wouldn't count on an opening before May. Three Rivers is a long way from Bodie no matter how you cut it (in dog miles). All the roads up to SEKI, north or south, will be open, chains or not, save from Hume Lk. to Cedar Grove. Your best, most up to date info is from the parks themselves, not a bunch of old fart know-it-all photogs (myself included).

Wink Re: Joshua Tree, Bodie, Yosemite (?), Sequoia

Thanks, Preston. Backtracking on 395 is what I wanted to avoid. I had considered the northern route around Yosemite but that still has a lot of miles. Even with the shortcut across Yosemite there are still a lot of miles between Bodie and Three Rivers. And at 15mpg towing the trailer and California gas prices .

And thanks, Curt, for that table. It looks like even May 1st is not always in the cards. ROL, you have convinced me that it would be a long trip. I will do Bodie sometime when my destinations are all on the east side of the Sierras.

I apologize for the double post. I'm not sure how that happened because I thought I only hit the submit button once. Looks like I may have hit the wrong button when I was putting it up for preview. Thanks all, for the information.
    al

Preston Birdwell

Al,

Yeah, I figured you wouldn't want to backtrack on 395, but Walker Pass would be your best option if you go to Bodie, and 120 is still closed. Just a quick note about Walker Pass...there's a nice Joshua Tree forest on the east side, some nice mountain scenery and also opportunities in the Kern Canyon.

Have a great trip!

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Les

Al, Sequoia should be open and at this time the roads should be OK....though I have no idea what's in the forecast. We're talking 6500' and the mountains create their own weather. You could cross the Sierra's through Sonora Pass, but just like 120, check what the situation is like. Walker would likely be the easiest to cross, particularly out of Sequoia. If you insist on going to Yosemite, then your choices to cross the Sierra's are limited....especially if 120 is not operational. Bodie is great, but I'd spend the time on the W. side, such as DV....vs having to worry/wondering about the weather and how much that would alter your plans.

Les

Preston Birdwell

You could cross the Sierra's through Sonora Pass, but just like 120, check what the situation is like.
    I live about 1.5 hours from Sonora Pass. Given that it's very narrow and steep, I wouldn't consider taking a trailer over it. People do tow trailers over Sonora Pass, but some have come to grief. Also, it is highly unlikely it will open anytime soon, and certainly not in early April. It's only about 300 feet lower than Tioga, and being further north, it gets as much, or more snow. There has been nothing in our local media about it.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

Drew Wiley

You need to check about specific locations. Each park has an active website with conditions and opening forecasts. You can probably get to Grant Grove area in Sequoia, but need to check about road work or closures further. I wouldn't even think
    about Tioga or Sonora passes that early. It's very unlikely any reasonable passes will be open other than Donner way to the north or Walker way to the south, which would be the most direct if you want a shortcut to Three Rivers. Bodie itself might still be closed, and is quite a detour. There is some fantastic hill country above Three Rivers worth exploring, esp the Kings
    drainage, but pulling a trailer could be a nightmare on some roads. For the same reason you might want to avoid the Ash
    Mtn entrance into Sequoia, and opt for the gentle grade approach directly to Grant Grove. Don't expect our mtn road conditions to be maintained like they are in Colorado. We tend to get deeper snows. Some roads are steep and narrow, and
    Park roads per se are not plowed by the state, but serviced by more limited Park bugets.

Thanks Everyone. This has been helpful and it has made up my mind to stay in the Sequoia area after Joshua Tree. I have been to Three Rivers five times in the past 10 year, each at mid-April. Each of those times the roads in Sequoia were open, but sometimes there was snow and chains were required, often from day to day.

I would definitely rule out any road that was a primitive track, does Sonora Pass fit this category? My little 13-foot trailer has a very low clearance and drains and things get scraped off the bottom even on reasonable roads.

I will be on the road first thing tomorrow morning. Your helpful comments are most appreciated. Thank you!
    al

Drew Wiley

Sonora Pass is well paved and a freeway compared to some of the roads I grew up on. But there are distinct sections on both sides of the pass itself which are steep, narrow, and switchbacky. There are a few truck drivers who supply the Marine base at the base of the hill who negotiate it, but it's generally not advisable for trailers or motorhomes. And it's rarely open before Memorial Day, and even if it is, is either icy or could potentially close again. A very beautiful road pass, esp in Sept. or Oct, and one of my favorite ways to cross the Sierras (other than on foot, which I've done plenty of times too). Just remember that "Three Rivers" is exactly that - trace your way uphill on any of these rivers this time of year and you've got some wonderful sight-seeing. You might want to leave the trailer behind, however.