Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: for sale section. Yes I know why I can't see it, I think its stupid though.

for sale section. Yes I know why I can't see it, I think its stupid though.

Gday guys,

Just a point as a new user.

I understand the anti-spam measures of not letting people see the FS section, but I think you are shooting yourselves in the foot.

A lot of new users (such as myself) obviously want to purchase LF equipment.

As a person new to LF, an active classifieds section would be great. I could browse peoples gear for sale, perhaps pick up a camera.

I might even spend money to purchase things (the purpose of it)

Instead I have to wait 30 days, and may spend my money elsewhere, because I don't want to wait 30 days to even see what is available.

What I am trying to say is, you are probably losing sales (and probably will lose my sale) by not allowing new users to at least have read-only access to the classifieds.

Dan

Re: for sale section. Yes I know why I can't see it, I think its stupid though.

I appreciate your thoughts, but buying and selling is not central to our mission. It is just a service we offer our established members.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Gday Kirk,

I understand.

I am just suggesting that members may benefit by having more purchasing power looking at their sale threads.

I believe read-only would still fulfill your anti-spammer mission?

Cheers,
    Dan

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Hi, Dan, and welcome to the forum!

The For Sale section does not support the web site, so it doesn't matter if you spend money there or not. Since LF is such a slow art form, waiting a while really doesn't affect anything. If you really delve into this, then you'll be doing LF for the rest of your life, until your hands are too arthritic to load film and you're blind. But if you're smart, you'll have put Braille marks on your camera, and you'll have assistants to do the rest. (Yes, there is at least one completely blind photographer, and his Gossen light meter was modified for Braille.)

So in that context, waiting a month really isn't a big deal, is it?
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    So in that context, waiting a month really isn't a big deal, is it?
    Thanks Brian

I'm Gen Y, we are used to getting everything immediately!

I am honestly more likely to spend my hard-earned in the first 30 days of researching something than after. Ie I will see an Ebay sale pop up and snap it up.

Just thinking that your users would probably appreciate people like my buying their stuff

And if there's no real reason to have it private instead of read only I figure we may as well change it!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by insanephotography View Post
    Gday Kirk,

I believe read-only would still fulfill your anti-spammer mission?

Cheers,
    Dan
    I think he has a point there. ?

Stefan

Octogenarian

Dan,

Obviously you are a young impatient Aussie.

The classified section of the LF forum is designed to be a service to established members.

Contributing to the forum for at least thirty days before you can make a sale or a purchase gives the members an opportunity to get to know you.

Unlike eBay, it serves to establish a personal basis for trust between buyer and seller.

You'll get a better deal in the long run.

I stress the participation requirement up one level.

When I post a For Sale item, the terms clearly state that it's only available to members with more than 20 posts.
    This eliminates the bargain hunters who stop by, snatch up goodies, then turn around and sell them on the bay.

Posting threads or replies in the Classified section does not increase one's post count.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I'll second the getting better deals, I certainly have and I recommend waiting.

A huge advantage over Ebay is you can place wanted adverts, that's often enabled me to buy what I've wanted - a bit of patience is needed at times as you need to wait for things to become available.

Ian

I think you'll find that if you spend the 30 days participating in the forum, digging in the archives, and reading the home-page articles, when it does come time to buy, you'll make a decision that will be easier to live with.

In any case, the limitation is a protection for readers and sellers alike. Readers know that anyone here just to make a quick buy and then leave will be encouraged to become part of the community, which in turn prevents the membership from swelling just from those looking for an alternative to ebay or KEH. Spammers register for this site every single day. Sellers know that those offering to buy have demonstrated at least a modicum of commitment to the idea of LF photography. Given that we offer no protections at all for the sales forum, it's one way to reduce risk for something that is entirely at the user's risk.

In any case, we don't shorten the time--otherwise we'd be responding to such requests daily with no data on which to decide--so enjoy the month without the pressure of making a buying decision and take the opportunity to become part of the group.

Rick "and, if I may suggest, be careful about that word 'stupid'" Denney