Thread: E6 - Velvia 50 - (drying) streaks

E6 - Velvia 50 - (drying) streaks

Hi,

Just came back from a trip to Scotland and started processing my film when I noticed some streaks in the top right hand corner of one of the sheets.

Can anyone tell me if these are just drying streaks or if it is something more serious? I can't see the streaks on the surface, but I do see them on the lightbox.

I used Fuji Hunt Chrome E6 6X chemicals in a CPE-2 processor. I had to leave a slight gap between the reversal 2 bath and the color developer, because I got a bit distracted, but that was well under a minute.

I didn't see anything on the other 3 sheets in the tank.

If they are just drying streaks, would washing and drying it again with the stabilizer help, or is that risky? It is my only sheet from that evening (sun only popped out from behind a cloud for about a minute).

I'm still a beginner in developing. Only tested it for about a month and got the developing itself under control, but have never had drying problems with E6 before.

Thanks,

Jewan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schotland_45_neist_point_RVP_2013_800_streaks.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	92167

Re: E6 - Velvia 50 - (drying) streaks

Quite peculiar. At first I thought the streaks (I see 2) might just be a wake in the ocean, but I think one goes up into the sky. Also the larger one has a very uniform width. I'm guessing it is improbable that these are drying streaks if you mean a surface deposit from dirty water rinse. Look at the chrome under reflected light to see if the streak is a surface contamination - the streak area will be somewhat duller than the film. Hard to see on a web image though.

Next best approach is to eliminate possible variables.

If the other three sheets showed fine it is more unlikely you have camera or holder light leaks.

Leaving a slight gap; I guess you mean time gap. That shouldn't cause such a streak.

Seems more likely to be a slight exposure during processing, handling, etc.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks for your response, Nate.

No, I don't see anything on the surface. It is uniformly reflective.

There are indeed 2, but they seem to be connected close to the top right corner. Looks like some liquid was spilled on it. The large one seems to stop in the middle of the water, just fades back to normal. No puddle or anything. There were also two light spots in the water on either side close to the horizon. I had already cloned these out, because they looked quite different. They could be light leaks on the sides(I hope not, then a quarter of all my velvia sheets might have these problems), but the bigger ones don't look like light leaks, more like a liquid ran over it, or didn't.

Could it be that the holder got wet with the film in it? I don't know when I changed my film out. I had some snow and rain. But the streaks don't look like they are caused by something like that. Plus, my film holders are always in ziplock bags and couldn't have gone beyond damp, if that.

With the gap I meant a time gap. Somebody walked in and distracted me for a second and i had to refocus for a bit. The tank was empty, besides the residual reversal 2 bath.

The mystery continues.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Hi,

Just came back from a trip to Scotland and started processing my film when I noticed some streaks in the top right hand corner of one of the sheets.

Can anyone tell me if these are just drying streaks or if it is something more serious? I can't see the streaks on the surface, but I do see them on the lightbox.

I used Fuji Hunt Chrome E6 6X chemicals in a CPE-2 processor. I had to leave a slight gap between the reversal 2 bath and the color developer, because I got a bit distracted, but that was well under a minute.

I didn't see anything on the other 3 sheets in the tank.

If they are just drying streaks, would washing and drying it again with the stabilizer help, or is that risky? It is my only sheet from that evening (sun only popped out from behind a cloud for about a minute).

I'm still a beginner in developing. Only tested it for about a month and got the developing itself under control, but have never had drying problems with E6 before.

Thanks,

Jewan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schotland_45_neist_point_RVP_2013_800_streaks.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	92167

I've seen these marks before and they were from water left in the 'system' from a previous run.

in the case I saw someone was using the 2509 and when they'd finished they would dry the reel but not leave long enough for all of the water in the corners to dry. When film was inserted, the water would accumulate and then drip out. This 'wet' surface would then receive less development because the water in the film would slow the take up of developer.

Hope that helps.

Tim

p.s. I run a scanning service and have fixed marks like these (and much worse) for people
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

did you mix chemicals with distilled water? crappy water or mixed chemicals wrong can cause this or to much PhotoFlo left on the reels or tanks. Do not Stabilize or use PhotoFlo while film is on the reels or in the tanks...

Thanks for your responses.

Tim,
    I'm using the 2509(sans n) too, but it was thoroughly dried, as this was my first time developing in a month time.
    I did listen to your advice in your youtube videos about home e6 processing and always make sure my tanks have dried fully until I do the next run. Those videos kind of gave me the confidence that I could do it too. So thanks for that!
    Maybe some water seeped in while the film was warming, but I can't see how that would have happened. Water was my first thought as well though, when I realised it was not on the surface.

Mike,
    I don't use distilled water, but the water in Holland is very consistent. I may have mixed some chemicals in the wrong way, but then it probably would have affected the other sheets in the tank as well, which was not the case.

These marks are quite easily cleaned up in Photoshop, I was just worried the same thing might happen again.
    I went back to running 2 sheets a time (I'm a slow shooter anyway), just to be safe and 4 less important sheets are now drying.

I surely would try distilled water, its cheap enough. Do you put the stabilizer in the tank or on the reels? This will build up as a sticky residue which washes of during development onto the film..... thats the biggest cause. There are other threads on LF that talk about this....

I'll definetely give it a try. You're right, there is no reason not to.

I don't put stabilizer in a tank, I didn't know about the build up, but it foams terribly, so I prefer a tray to keep foam to a minimum. I have an old ice cream box that's the perfect size for it, i don't use it for anything else besides.

lol lol the foam on your reels is from photoflo or stabilizer...i use pool acid to clean reels contaminated with photoflo

Yes, I can see that contaminating reels. I always take the film off the reels before putting it in the stabilizer. Otherwise i feel the need to rinse them after I take them out of the reels. Plus apparently my reels stay a lot cleaner My reels still look like new, even though they are second hand.
    The only thing to look out for when putting sheet film in a tray for the stabilizer is that you only put in one sheet at time, because the corners do scratch up the film underneath quite easily because the film is still soft.