Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Section Dedicated to Reference / Technical Information

Section Dedicated to Reference / Technical Information

I see that the Linhof serial number thread is up to 156 pages.

I have not asked Bob about the date of manufacture of my Technika V,as it is not that improtant to me. Certainly not prepared to go through 156 pages to see if someone has posted a serial number close to mine.

Wondering if it might make sense to have it compiled as a single article and put into a section dedicated to reference or technical information. It might be that rather in the forum, maybe that resides on the Home Page along with other articles.

A table of serial numbers for different LF related equipment by manufacturers would be helpful, as would information on some of the technical information would help as well.

I guess part of the problem is that there is a lot of information out there, but knowing where it resides and the quality of information can be suspect, particularly if the individual posting has an agenda.

Thoughts?

Re: Section Dedicated to Reference / Technical Information

If you want to read it, write it.

Len, we're always dependent on the effort of volunteers to implement the good ideas like this that people propose.

Why not get in touch with Bob and see whether he has the Linhof S/N data in a document that he is permitted and willing to share here? If the answer is yes, you can follow up with Tuan, who manages the static LF Home Page.

Similarly with other brands, if someone has the time and interest to compile and curate the information, it's welcome here.

I remember an effort here about 2-3 years ago where someone advocated we all write a "wiki" of data on lenses, processing, cameras, films, et al. Like a lot of visionary types, he banged the drum for a few weeks trying to get people to step up to write the content. A few offered to, but didn't have the experience or knowledge to really do so. No amount of discussion that tried to point to other, existing solutions would dissuade the couple of people that kept insisting that "someone" create an LF Wiki. the The initiative petered out....and was never heard from again.

Here is that earlier Wiki effort: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ge-Format-Wiki

Hmm. Ages ago I suggested to QT that he put up the Boyer article that Eric Beltrando and I wrote. Nothing ever happened.

I maintain a list of information resources that I've posted at http://1drv.ms/1w0vbMD. I mention it from time to time, it is always forgotten very rapidly. I'd be happy if QT wants to put it up on this site. One condition, though. I'll need access to it for updating. One of the weaknesses of articles on this site is that they're frozen.

Garrett, I do remember that wiki discussion.

Dan, having not worked in the industry and having limited reference material any contribution I could provide would be of little value. I have seen your reference links before and recently read through your document on Apo-Nikkor lenses.

Just wondering if the considerable effort that Bob is putting in on the Linhof serial numbers could be put into a format and location where it could be more useful. Similarly, Schneider provides information on their vintage lenses, and dates of manufacturer would be useful.

I guess part of the issue would be allowing information to reside elsewhere and reducing traffic to their own web site.

Not certain what the solution might be, but I guess it helps to keep Google fed...

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Just wondering if the considerable effort that Bob is putting in on the Linhof serial numbers could be put into a format and location where it could be more useful.
    Why don't you offer to help him?

Similarly, Schneider provides information on their vintage lenses, and dates of manufacturer would be useful.

I guess part of the issue would be allowing information to reside elsewhere and reducing traffic to their own web site.
    Finding all this crap easily is what my list of links is for. The only reason to collect the information itself is fear that the sites that now hold it will vanish. My solution to this was to make sure that all of the sites my list points to are also at archive.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    My solution to this was to make sure that all of the sites my list points to are also at archive.com
    Actually archive.org. Regardless, many thanks for going to the trouble - it's a great resource.

Just wondering if the considerable effort that Bob is putting in on the Linhof serial numbers could be put into a format and location where it could be more useful. Similarly, Schneider provides information on their vintage lenses, and dates of manufacturer would be useful.
    I suspect that Bob wishes to double-check his data for accuracy when someone makes a request. It is not unusual for manufacturers' data to be incorrect.

That said, and I hope this doesn't tick someone off, I ran a test dumping the Linhof serial number thread. One of my minor talents in the old days was parsing strings. I did not finish because it was late and I needed sleep more than data. Besides, while the results could be interpolated to fill some of the gaps similar to how summilux.net does, I don't know if it would make a big difference.