Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New55 film please

New55 film please

I'm getting so frustrated. I don't know if we will ever see New55 film on the market. My Polaroid holders are collecting a lot of dust. I wish that all the effort and R&D could be directed toward getting the 4X5 material on the market, instead of working with the 8X10 material and delaying the 4X5 completion.

Re: New55 film please

I know the frustration – but just keep faith in the Resurrection, and stay prepared.

For I tell you when Type 55 returns, it will be like a thief in the night.

Meantime, explore the miracles possible w/ TMax-100 & 400.

I hear ya. There seems to be a lot of passionate people out there, which makes this project is perfect for crowd-funding or micro-investment. Unfortunately they are not willing to go that route. Expecting someone to walk off the street and drop $100K to revive a dead technology with a questionable market is a tall order but I am pretty sure that you could drum up 500 people who would invest $200 apiece. I certainly would.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The problem with New55 is that Efke went out of business.

EFKE has gone out of business and that is bad news. The EFKE emulsion was nearly ideal for DTR. The only other emulsion we know of in 4x5 today that works well is from Shanghai. We have tested dozens of other black and white emulsions.
    If you read the various blog posts and what the process needs, it turns out that the Efke high silver content films were essential. The tabular grain films like Delta and TMax don't work, and the current low-silver Tri-X and HP-4 and HP-5 don't work. So far, no word on the Shanghai film.

Very likely the reason that they are making progress on 8x10 film is because they have a few boxes of Efke 8x10 left.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

That's an interesing point. But Foma is still around, making wonderfully old-fashioned high silver content cubic silver halide crystal emulsions. Go New55, go!!!
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

I aslo wish New55 was on the market. I also would support a Kickstarter.

I have the greatest respect for everyone involved in the project. Yes the market will be small, but only in the beginning. Getting it on the shelves and on the front cover of Freestyle will draw people to the new product. If the garden variety digital photographer has an itch to try film, a product that will give him an instant print would be more attractive than conventional film. If I was involved in the project, all unnecessary experimentation with things like 8X10 color and all the other things that have been taking up time and money(again, I mean no disrespect) would stop and everything would go into the 4X5 product to get it on the market. Then after the cash starts coming in and the fascination for the great new film grows, start playing with 8x10 color. I bet they would have to run overtime shifts to keep up with the orders from all the great artists out here that mastered the Polaroid materials , who like myself and many here on the forum, are desperately waiting on the improved alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I I am pretty sure that you could drum up 500 people who would invest $200 apiece. I certainly would.
    I'm ready to do the same!

Polly Chandler is testing/using some of the New55. An image or two using the New55 film on her FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by JosephBurke View Post
    Polly Chandler is testing/using some of the New55. An image or two using the New55 film on her FB page.
    To be quite honest, I am happy for the few (very few) people that have been given an opportunity to test the new film. But at this point, after checking out the New55 site for over a year, and hearing about "other" people using the film, it's getting old. I want my own box. In fact, I want my own case. I will pay for my own case. I want to use my new 55 film to make portraits and make a profit. And I'm sure that there are many people that feel the way I do. As far as high silver content film,I don't know. Make a deal with a film company and have them make a big batch of film with higher silver content. A film deal must be locked in. The trend we see today with companies dropping this and dropping that,there is always the risk of the film being discontinued.