Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider Kreuznach Symmar S 135 mm f 5.6 for a first time LF lens

Schneider Kreuznach Symmar S 135 mm f 5.6 for a first time LF lens

Hi

I am new here, and to LF photography. still putting together my LF kit. I have recently bought a Tachihara 4x5 and am now looking for a lens. I would like to start with a 135 as that is what i usually shoot on the 35 mm format and i really want to shoot landscapes with LF.

I have seen the Symmar S selling for reasonable prices on evilbay but don't see a lot of images from it or comparisons with the Fujinon 135/5.6 or the Nikkor 135/5.6. Is this an older version of the Apo-Symmar? will it be a good buy? I don't like to buy, try, sell and buy another .. i keep whatever i buy. so please any feedback on this lens' performance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ...

Misbah

Re: Schneider Kreuznach Symmar S 135 mm f 5.6 for a first time LF lens

Hi Misbah, I use a re-badged Caltar version of this lens and they are excellent performers, I'm very happy with mine and it's asgood as any of my other Symmars and Sironars.

Ian

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the LF world!

Well, what do you mean that you use 135mm on 35mm format? you know that 135mm LF on LF body is different equivalent to 135mm on 35mm format.

Quote Originally Posted by Misbah View Post
    Hi I am new here, and to LF photography. still putting together my LF kit. I have recently bought a Tachihara 4x5 and am now looking for a lens. I would like to start with a 135 as that is what i usually shoot on the 35 mm format and i really want to shoot landscapes with LF.
    To be clear, do you use a 135mm lens on 35mm film, or are you saying you prefer the 135 on 4x5 because it is about the equivalent of a 35mm lens on 35mm film?

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the LF world!

Well, what do you mean that you use 135mm on 35mm format? you know that 135mm LF on LF body is different equivalent to 135mm on 35mm format.
    Hi

I shoot with 35 mm primes on the 35mm format, so i would like to keep in the vicinity of that focal length for large format ...sorry about the confusion... ! (although it is closer to 50mm: 135/50 = 45)

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    To be clear, do you use a 135mm lens on 35mm film, or are you saying you prefer the 135 on 4x5 because it is about the equivalent of a 35mm lens on 35mm film?
    Exactly ! thank you...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Based on what you say you'll be happy with the 135, including the price since they are quite available and affordable. In terms of differences betweent he Fuji and Nikon o fsame era... you'll be hard-pressed to really see a difference. It once was said that the Nikon had greater contrast. Maybe so, but I never noticed enough of a difference to make me want to replace my Schneider.

Ok, now it is clear, i thought you use 135mm on 35mm format and you think that 135mm is same on LF.

if you like 35mm on 35mm format then you should consider something like 125mm or 120mm focal length, Fujinon and Nikkor have 125mm FL lens, give it a try, but even if you decide on 135mm it is not a bad choice at all, i was going to get 135mm if i didn't have 150mm at all, maybe in the future when i get most lenses i need then i will add 135mm too.

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Ok, now it is clear, i thought you use 135mm on 35mm format and you think that 135mm is same on LF.

if you like 35mm on 35mm format then you should consider something like 125mm or 120mm focal length, Fujinon and Nikkor have 125mm FL lens, give it a try, but even if you decide on 135mm it is not a bad choice at all, i was going to get 135mm if i didn't have 150mm at all, maybe in the future when i get most lenses i need then i will add 135mm too.
    i can look at those too i guess... thank you

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

The difference between a 135 and 150 is negligable in my experience. The recco for 120 is a solid one. There should be plenty on the market since that was touted as part of a "recommened LF kit (120, 210)" throughout much of the 1980s and 1990s. I haven't noticed the market on them simply because I have never needed/wanted one.