Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there a good low cost scanner for under $100

Medium format evolving 2 Large pudentaineLf's Avatar

Re: Is there a good low cost scanner for under $100

yea, thats what I was thinking but i jsut hadn't worked it out yet thanks for saving me some mental processing time, great suggestions.
    Any ideas on what models, brands...what am I looking for exactly in a film negative scanner. just over a certain dpi or what...?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Gomena View Post
    If you have a lot of film to scan, save your money and buy a decent scanner. You can find a good, lightly used one if you look around. There are a lot of outdated but useable scanners out there that people abandoned because the software became outdated. New versions of SilverFast and others such as VueScan often are available to run old scanners.

How about good out of date scanners that I could use viewscan or silverfast with as Peter Gomena suggested? anybody have any suggestions on that idea? I like it not only because it's fugile but it's also kind of green...

Quote Originally Posted by pudentaineLf View Post
    Hi all!

I'm a with large format photography, retired and on a very tight income in a very expensive city. I don't mean to be tight but does anyone out there have any opinions or suggestions on a low cost scanner that can handle 4 x 5 negatives, I already do a lot of 120...or am I in the position where it is more prudent for me to print my stuff and scan it on my 4 in 1. I currently have a HP Deskjet 2050. That may be the worst thing out there to use but that's why I mentioned it because I'll never learn with out asking what sometimes might be dumb questions.

I was looking at the epson V600 & came across a Canon CanoScan 9000F Color Image Scanner, I also came across the "Imagelab FS9T Film and Slide Scanner" it was more in my price range at $69. but it might be a piece of junk, it says 9 mega pixel resolution and I thought that was enough for a 4 x 5 but maybe I'm wrong.

Any ideas or suggestions? I also thought about buying used, I saw a epson V750 for sale at $139. Used my a little old lady and only on Sunday's...you know the story, lol!!

Thanks, Thomas

I use Vuescan with my Epson 2450. No problems at all.

If you buy a used scanner, make sure it has the required negative holder or be prepared to improvise one. The carrier shown on the Craig's List was only for roll film.

The Epson 3200 scanner is very good as well as the 4180. Should be available used for $50-100.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I wanted to thank you "petetsai". I picked up my printer from this gentleman the night before last. It was in great condition , had all it's cables, wires and other accessories, and all for $10. Thanks for the help, the guy was very surprised by the story that got me there. I thought it was pretty cool so I told him.

Quote Originally Posted by petetsai View Post

Glad I could be of help, I actually just sent my Photographer friend out to buy a scanner on CL down in LA. His current scanner couldn't do 8x10 negatives so I told him that I just bought a 4990, I found him one locally for $160 and off he went to buy it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    The Epson 3200 scanner is very good as well as the 4180. Should be available used for $50-100.

Jon
    oops meant Epson 4870.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

SF Bay Area 94303

I have been using an Epson Perfection 3200. Works fine for 4X5. Max resolution is about 1600-2400 dpi. 16"X20" prints from scans are fine. The only problem I have had is that Epson scanning software only works on Xp. I have a dedicated old Xp box that runs the scanning. With old scanners see it work before money changes hands. Silver Fast works on Win7 very slowly.