Thread: Looking for a lightweight tripod

Looking for a lightweight tripod

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a lighter tripod than I have currently. I'm about to do a lot of walking with my 5x7 in a backpack, and going to have to carry a tripod for somewhat long distances. I've got a Bogen 3021 right now and I've had it for years, but I'd like to get a carbon fiber tripod of some sort. My camera weighs around 6 pounds, maybe a tad more with lens. I was looking at the Induro CT214, but not sure how steady it would be, has anyone used this before?. I'd like to get something under 5lbs. Can anyone recommend a good tripod for my set up?

Re: Looking for a lightweight tripod

I've used an aluminum Induro for a couple years, and I think they are very well-built considering the price tag. I would guess that their CF tripods are equally worthy.
    Same goes for higher-end Benros.
    Another option is Triopo; the 3228 tripod is very small when folded, very light, but somewhat cheaply made. It does work very well, nonetheless, and will give you good service. A steal at $225.
    More expensive options are Three Legged Thing, Gitzo Traveler series, and FLM's 3-section tripods; for the latter two, you're looking at $700 and up, though.