Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a 50'x20' Backdrop Stand

Re: Making a 50'x20' Backdrop Stand

Rent a blimp? I'm not real serious about it as a solution, but what you're asking for will require some serious thought and equipment.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by KOG View Post
    Rent a blimp? I'm not real serious about it as a solution, but what you're asking for will require some serious thought and equipment.

Kevin
    I think you are on the right track Helium balloons would be much easier to use and transport than building and hauling around a 50 foot tall frame and much more tolerant of wind gusts too.

I actually have one of these http://72.167.42.95/photocart/index....2#image=100422 in 16x30 I think, might even consider selling it.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Electrical rigid metal conduit is not designed for structural applications. The trusses that are sometimes used for lighting are also not designed for structures like these (they are usually made up of sections of Rohn antenna towers).

But I'm not sure you have to go to the expense of a movie-grip crew, if you are not in place where their union controls such activities through local laws (and that is something you must check). Most construction riggers could erect scaffolding in those dimensions, even with the sail on it, though they will want to rig it down with guy wires. Scaffolding is modular and can be made as deep as necessary to control the overturning moment from wind, but doing so requires more floor space.

Rick "bring your checkbook" Denney

I once rented a motion picture studio for a morning for about $350; included was a 30 ft-high cyclorama.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I once rented a motion picture studio for a morning for about $350; included was a 30 ft-high cyclorama.
    Yup, the second you decide this can be done indoors or against the side of a building it instantly becomes not only doable but simple.
    -Chris

Cha-ching!

Out of Plumb

Photoshop?
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”

Doing shoots with backgrounds outside for many years and must say that 50 foot by 20 foot would be for the extreme professional hollywood rigging cartel. I limit my size outdoors to 8 ft wide and 10 ft tall. This is still serious sailing even with the slightest of breezes if not rigged adequately. All stands are major overkill and weighted unbelievably. I also use what is called the "Claw" and "Dandy line" or in some places known as "Bull tape". Claw is a 3 way pound in the ground aircraft tiedown anchor with a forged eye hook in the middle. # 12 inch barn nails driven in the ground secure needed grip. See Claw.com. Dandy line is 2500 lb test flat nylon tape used in the electric cable industry for pulling cable thru conduit in large buildings. All weighted stands are tethered with this stuff ( top and bottom) and background is tethered judiciously to stand also. Everything is tied to "Claws" on the ground. Wind is an absolute superior adversary and taming her is incredibly tough; that is if you want a "Sail" to stay in one place. I also carry good liability insurance. Think long and hard about that main sail you are contemplating.