Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copal shutting the doors?

Re: Copal shutting the doors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Hmmm. Maybe it's time to stockpile a few spare shutters...
    I've always purchased photography equipment new, except when looking for a specific unique item that had already been discontinued. Into the latter category fell a few lenses. Carol Flutot performed her CLAC magic on some of them but, for a couple of others, I decided to buy brand new Copal shutters, transferring the cells and scales. The last time I did that was two years ago.

Since then, prices have skyrocketed. If you're going to stockpile, consider used, because this is what new ones cost now:

and (be sure you're sitting down)

Aren't we all doing that already? I have been for as long as I can remember. LF gear new has always been crazy high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    . We all will be forced to buy on the second hand market.

...We all will be forced to buy on the second hand market.
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Aren't we all doing that already?...LF gear new has always been crazy high prices.
    No, we haven't all been doing that. As I posted right above you:

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I've always purchased photography equipment new, except when looking for a specific unique item that had already been discontinued...
    Until film stopped being the dominant medium, large format equipment was reasonably priced for the professional tool it was. Always buying used meant manufacturers would leave the market. That's why I've long encouraged anyone who could afford it to buy new.

Yep, I guess you are right. In LF photography, the ratio of professionals to amateurs is particularly large and the pros are forced out of LF by their customers. Amateurs might be much less inclined to spend a lot of money on new lenses and reliable shutters. So, even if they would make up for the pros leaving the field, this would not help the manufacturers very much.
    The amateurs will get the you know what out of dodge once it becomes expensive as 8x10 chromes. There were about 10 of us as of last year on this forum doing 8x10 chromes by my count.

Nearly all my shutters are older than I am and, alas, function much better than I do
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Well, some of my roughly 90 years old compurs run more accurately than some copals I have from the 90s. But at some point even the most rugged highest quality shutter will break. So, the end of mechanical shutter production is certainly not anything to be happy or even careless about. The next thing happening might be that you won't find service technicians anymore. Start learning how to fix and service your shutters yourself!
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

I agree with you Peter, I have many old Compurs that run accurately and smoothly, the oldest from 1913. I don't think Copals are as reliable either but it is worrying that no-ones going to be making mechanical shutters.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    $2700 for the shutter
    $2300 for the control box
    Lenses that come with the eshutter =$5,000+
    Minimum operating temp of 32 degrees.
    Frickin sweetness!
    1: Those are old prices.
    2: The minimum operating temperature is a function of the battery. If you use a battery extension pack so you can put the battery in your pocket (DHW) makes one for their shutter you would have to rig one up for the other shutters you can go much lower. We have sold some of these shutters for operation under the wing of some military jets and they have operated at temps. as low as -50C. As with a mechanical shutter, lubricants will have to be changed to meet these conditions.

Currently we have a Rodenstock shutter going up to the arctic in a pod hanging on the wing of a military cargo jet and there have been no low weather issues.

Bear in mind, the battery is not in these shutters. The battery is in the controller. The controller easily can be put in your pocket or in a heated bag, for that matter.

Lastly, lenses in eShutter start well below $5,000.00. They also go up well beyond $5,000.00. So without specifying the lens this statement is meaningless. A 23mm HR Digaron-S in Copal 0 or a 32mm HR Digaron-W are more then $7,000.00 in Copal 0 shutter!

I was just on the phone with Schneider USA West Coast ,talking about a shutter repair they had completed And I asked them about copal shutters.Last year Schneider was told to prepare an order for the last run of copal shutters before the company closed its doors.Than I asked where Schneider was going to get shutters from and was told that Schneider is no longer making large format lenses except for digital which use electronic shutters .All very sad mews but since it came from the horses mouth or facilely there of I thought I would pass it on.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Interesting. Slightly sad, but not surprising.

On a total aside... aren't the folks at Schneider West nice to talk to. Almost as nice as talking to Bob S.