Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa Fe area

Santa Fe area

Some people may find this absurd-me asking about shooting locations in and around SF, but I'm looking for things that I might have overlooked or simply missed in all the years I have shot around the state.

I will very likely be teaching a three week LF b&w film class (not basic basic level) for a university this July in SF and am wanting to take the students on relatively short excursions (one hour or less) in and around SF. Probably mostly landscape and architecture. Your favorite places?

If you are interested in the class, I'm not sure its open to the general public but I will check if anyone is interested-give me a week or so and I will post info about it when it is positively confirmed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Les

Re: Santa Fe area

Kirk, I've spend little while in one of the villages outside of ABQ....my presumption is Mesita, since it was on that side of I-40. Love the way that church looks. Might be too far from SF.

That has a 2-3-4hr potential. It lends itself to all sorts of architectural abstracts (any format ) Not sure the villagers would appreciate the population doubling, he he.

Les

Octogenarian

Hi Kirk.

My favorite place to photograph in the SF area is called La Cueva. Located NW of Las Vegas,NM on 518.

Here are some examples:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-Fe---May,-2007-014.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	91807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Santa-Fe---May,-2007-018.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	91808

Kirk
    I'll give you a few that may jog your memory. Madrid, Golden, Los Cerrillos, Tent Rocks, Aspen Vista( great Aspens and should have wild flowers). Truchas and Chimayo have some great old churches. The Abiquiu and Ghost ranch area.
    Alan

Kirk, it is difficult to recommend anything to you to be honest. If you are leading a class then there has to be multiple opportunities in the proximity of where you land assuming everyone is traveling together. I have spent a lot of time around SF over the years, but the only place I can think of that a lot of people can tackle at the same time and that would probably be interesting for them is the old Route 66 stretch in Albaquacky. It will let them get their shifts and tilts on at least which I assume is an important part of the class.

Kirk, Gem has mentioned one of my favorite places at the Salman Ranch at La Cueva. It's just east of Mora on the east side of the Sangre de Cristos. The old adobe mill shown by Gem is a gem. The church, just maybe 500 feet to the NW, while not an antique is beautifully situated. The place is also quite quiet - no one to bother a small group. One of my images below.

45V1-99-30[t1 by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Also of course Pecos Nat. Monument is nearby.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Thanks guys. I had forgotten about some of those sites. Here is the course. It will be a three week-four days a week class at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design.

“This advanced black and white analog workshop is for experienced photographers working in all formats who have knowledge of darkroom procedures.

The course will consist of field sessions to areas of photographic interest in northern New Mexico. In addition, there will be daily print viewing sessions and critiques designed to refine the students’ artistic goals, with an emphasis on the photographic process as an interpretive medium.

This class will also focus on darkroom demonstrations and discussion covering film exposure and development, contact and projection printing, understanding photographic chemistry, and using chemistry as a tool for fine-tuning print ambiance. Other techniques taught will include toning for both permanence and expression and the use of a 4x5 view camera. The course will conclude with discussions and demonstrations on proper print presentation stressing the use of archival materials.”
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

mitch

clear your in box out trying to send you a Pm
    mitch

Done thanks for letting me know.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

That sounds like a great opportunity for the students! They ought to be sorted out and know where all the local great spots are. Wish I was in the area!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC1096.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	92287

Climber's cave at Shiprock, 2011.