Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needing new(er) computer

Needing new(er) computer

I tend to lag behind the technology...way behind. My desktop is probably 10-11 years old, running Windows XP. My Epson 4990 is hooked to it, and what few photo jobs I have these days (little league sports, daycare "spring/fall" pictures) are Photoshoped on that computer before sending up to Mpix for printing.

I probably need to catch up a little. My problem with upgrading is mainly with the monitor - I am still using the original 19" CRT monitor. I tried two different flat screen monitors a few years back (both Xmas presents to me) but neither were usable for working on photos, since I could not get them adjusted to Mpix, and since the slightest change in viewing angle changed the brightness of the image. My CRT is matched very nicely to what Mpix prints, so I know what I send them is what I will get back.

I need advice on getting a new "work" computer / monitor that will give me pretty much what I have now at an "affordable" price (Say, free - $1,000). The only externals I will be hooking up to it is my scanner, and perhaps in the future, a printer.

I am guessing another desktop will be most affordable, but:

1 - Are there any laptops that have monitors that are great for working on pictures?
    2 - Would it be possible to hook my CRT monitor to a laptop (if the laptop monitor is not good for photo work)?
    3 - Desktop recommendations?
    4 - Monitor recommendations?

Thanks.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Re: Needing new(er) computer

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I probably need to catch up a little.
    That's gently understated.

1. You'll get more bang for the buck with a desktop and it will be easier/cheaper to repair/upgrade.

2. If the laptop has a analog VGA out. It's really time to dump the CRT.

3/4. WIth $1000 spend $600 on a PC and $300 on a display and have some money for a calibration puck. You can get a quadcore AMD with 8GB ram for $600 probably. It used to be Intel/AMD was a personal preference, but AMD has started putting good graphics capabilities (for our needs) into their chips as a result of merging with ATI and wanting to make their products simpler/more efficient. Intel by itself has had poor graphic, but Intel with an Nvidia graphics device is good bet also.

You can get a LCD for $100 but it will be like you speak of where it looks a lot different at different angles. Better displays have less of this and of course cost more. Samsung would be a step up that would have less of this than an acer for example. Apple generally makes good displays and it's possible to find out the PC equivalent for much less $ than the proprietary apple option.

If you are looking specifically for an IBM compatible and don't mind Dell, try http://www.dellauction.com/. These are refurbished machines with a 1-year warranty.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

One thing you need to know is that a lot of older software won't run on Win 7 or 8 without running an emulator, which the higher-end Win 7 has. But it's like running 2 machines, and some older software simply can't be made to run.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeH View Post
    One thing you need to know is that a lot of older software won't run on Win 7 or 8 without running an emulator, which the higher-end Win 7 has. But it's like running 2 machines, and some older software simply can't be made to run.
    I am guessing that means PhotoShop 7 will not run? I just love my PS7. I have CS2 & 3, but just don't use them much on this old machine due to its speed / ram.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

CS3 will run. Check out the Dell refurb Ultrasharp series monitors. Nice IPS monitors for great price. I think under $200. Keep checking back at the Dell website. They go in and out of stock periodically:
    http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/dell/c...1/cl2/monitors

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I tend to lag behind the technology...way behind. My desktop is probably 10-11 years old
    I probably need to catch up a little.
    When you wait that long to upgrade your machine you really do make it harder on yourself to upgrade. There is a good chance that your really old software will not run on the new machine.

Are there any laptops that have monitors that are great for working on pictures?
    Would it be possible to hook my CRT monitor to a laptop (if the laptop monitor is not good for photo work)?
    The monitors on laptops these days are far superior to the CRTs of yesteryear. The biggest issue with using laptops for photo editing is that you are your have a hard time maintaining consistency in your screen angle and lighting conditions.

Desktop recommendations?
    Buy an iMac.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Preston Birdwell

Randy,

I don't recommend a laptop for serious imaging work. They have small screens that will result in lots of scrolling around and they tend to run hotter under load. Also, they tend to be expensive, especially if you look for better screens, more powerful video, CPU and RAM. As JP indicates, they are also more costly to upgrade and repair. Some folks like laptops for imaging work, but a desktop and a good screen will pay dividends down the road. So, with that, here's my recommendation.

CPU: Intel i5 quad core 3550 77W 3.3 Ghz
    Video: NVidia GT 430 1 GHz, passively cooled (has HDMI, Display Port and Dual Link DVI)
    RAM: 8 or 16 GB DDR3, 1600
    OS Drive: A Solid State drive (SSD) at least 180 GB (for your OS, programs and working files)
    Secondary Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black, 1 or 2 TB
    External Backup Drive: USB 3.0 or SATA 6GB/s. Size would depend upon your needs.
    Monitor: NEC MultiSync P or PA (22" or larger)
    Calibration: If you go with one of the NEC monitors above, get NEC SpectraView and colorimeter. Otherwise, Color Munki or iOne Display Pro.

Now, will all this cost under a $1k? Nope. Will it give great performance over the long haul? Absolutely.

Now for the plug: Check out Puget Systems. They are a custom builder located in Auburn WA. I have one of their Obsidian workstations and a new 15" Traverse Laptop. The Obsidian has worked flawlessly for over two years, is quiet, runs cool, and the build is impeccable. So far, my new laptop is running sweetly. Puget Systems has the best customer service I have seen. They will help you get the best bang for your money. I have no connection with them, other than being a happy customer. Tell them I sent you.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Just want to chime in to say I am also a Photoshop 7 user on a ten year-old PC running Windows XP. We're a dying breed but we're not dead yet!

Jonathan

Les

If you can, try to put the rig yourself. I was over to replace a batt in my watch and the guy there was putting together his computer. About $700 in parts from newegg is giving him over $1300 in computer (4Ghz and 16GB of RAM). IPS monitor is definiately a way to go.....but $1000 for everything ???....Not so sure. Either way, this amount of processing would allow you to be ahead of the curve....for some time.

Although I slapped '97 Word on a fresh laptop (WIN 7), there are tricks that would permit you to do this...and I'm not saying that you should follow this. It irked me how Microslouch created this need for me to make sure I purchase their new and expensive office package. No way.

Good luck finding the best way out for you.

Les