Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More 4x5 novice questions :-)

More 4x5 novice questions :-)

Well, I tried out my home-made 4x5 this weekend and it works A1 !! 4x5 negatives are sure impressive - too bad all my Dektol was 7 years old ;-)

Having now dipped me wick in the LF oil, I have some more novice questions:

#1 - What do you use to hold your negatives for drying? I left mine in the combi rack and they took forever to dry but there isn't much border to clip on to.

#2 - What do you use to transport your LF camera, tripod, and "field supplies" on short trips? Somehow it doesn't seem right to carry film holders around in the daylight - was thinking of buying a super store shoulder bag to carry film holders, exposure meter, and small stuff. Don't know what to use for the camera except to put the tripod over my shoulder and motor....

#3 - On two out of six negatives (in 3 film holders), I had a lighter stripe along one long edge and up one end, about 1/4" wide that looks like light leakage - it was remarkedly uniform for leakage..... I have only shot 1 negative from each position so I don't know if the problem is the holder(s). What else could it be?

I'm really happy with my cherry wood camera and look forward to exposing more film!

#1 - What do you use to hold your negatives for drying? I left mine in the combi rack and they took forever to dry but there isn't much border to clip on to.

Top corner, clip it with plastic clothespins over a string hung in the bathroom.

#2 - What do you use to transport your LF camera, tripod, and "field supplies" on short trips? Somehow it doesn't seem right to carry film holders around in the daylight - was thinking of buying a super store shoulder bag to carry film holders, exposure meter, and small stuff. Don't know what to use for the camera except to put the tripod over my shoulder and motor....

A Volkswagon Van. And a regular type backpack, the kind you get for books in College. The tripod just gets carried over the shoulder.

#3 - On two out of six negatives (in 3 film holders), I had a lighter stripe along one long edge and up one end, about 1/4" wide that looks like light leakage - it was remarkedly uniform for leakage..... I have only shot 1 negative from each position so I don't know if the problem is the holder(s). What else could it be?

Sloppy placement of the negative holder in the camera. It happens. As you get more use to the deliberate nature of your work, it will happen less. Keep track of the number and side of all your film to film holder so you can track this kind of issue. Are you using standard plastic film holders?

tim in san jose

I keep my film holders in lunch boxes bought at K-mart. $7 for a padded, insulated "soft" box that holds 7 holders.

I must respectfully disagree with tim in san jose on one of his answers (#2). The correct manner of transporting 4x5 cameras and equipment is on a burro with a mild disposition.

A back pack is also permissible on a bicycle, but never a motor vehicle as it ruins the atmosphere, causes global warming and drives up the cost of crude oil.

Jane I have to disagree with Tim on answer #1.......I avoid plastic of any kind. ...Use good old fashioned wood clothes pins. Just barely clip them over the edge of the negative. Wood holds much better than plastic by the way. ...

#2....back packs made to order...Walmart is the place to go.......

#3 hmmm....I have to agree with Tim on that one....You will get the feel for when the holder is seated right after a while.

You are off to a great start and we certainly admire you drive.

Good shooting...

Hi Calam. Congrats!! You're getting terrific advice so far and I will only add an idea about the light leakage. Rack out your bellows, put a film holder in the back, go outside in the brilliant sun, and screw your eyeball in there where the lens is now. Now move stuff around. Tilts swings jiggle the holders up and down, curse, and generally try to see a band of light leaking in. If it is, you'll see it easily. You may need to re-think the camera back. Stronger springs? Black velvet like many old cameras used to have, or maybe even a graflok metal back. Let us know what you figure out. And you will figure it out. That's what seperates the LF crowd from the rest. A little intuitive thinking and some ca'jun ingenuity.

#2 - What do you use to transport your LF camera, tripod, and "field supplies" on short trips?

Borrow a 8x10 camera and gear for the weekend. Carry it around with you whereever you go. At the end of the weekend return the 8x10. The 4x5 will now feel so light in comparrison that you can handcarry 4x5, filmholders and tripod without even noticing the weight

1 - Clothespins work great for drying negs. You can build an enclosure to keep dust from settling on them while they dry, but I dont worry about it at this early stage.

#2 - Soft coolers work great for camera bags. The insulation makes a very effective padding. They are light, easy to keep clean, and inexpensive. Anything further than 1-2 miles away from the car and I would suggest a backpack. There are many threads here discussing them. I also keep film holders in plastic ziplock bags to ensure against dust.

#3 - Leaky holders are pretty easy to spot on the film. Usually radiates out from a corner. I think tim was correct that the holder was most likely not seated correctly.

Just one thing to add for #1, I didn't like the idea of using clothspins to hold the 4x5 negs, I was always afraid they didn't grip well enough with the small amount of rebate edge. I use dragon clips (like for electronic conections) hung inside a plastic storage bin, two lengths of string run from one end to the other, 6 clips on each, I put some silica gell beads in the bottom (which get dried out occasionally), and leave the lid just cracked to allow for some air circulation, 12 negs will ussually dry in about 6-12 hours, depending on heat an humidity.

As for carying the camear, and accessories, everyone kinda finds a way that works for them. I started out working with a monorail camera out of it's big case in the passenger seat of my truck, then went went to carying my field camera (bought the field camera after carrying the monorail in a pack, that happened once, and only once) in a soft sided cooler, and finally ended up investing in a lowepro photo trekker, which to me was well worth it. Soft insulated lunch boxes work really well for film holders too.

Peter

I'll second (third...) the clothespins for hanging negatives. Wood ones! I use the thin metal clothes hangers also. I bend the two ends back, about two inches from the end. Then twist the hook 90 degrees. This then hangs over the top of a door with 4 clothes pins hanging on the bottom wire. It offers enough room for 2 or 3 4x5's or one 8x10 negative. I clip the pins onto the short edge of the film where the index cuts are. That's usually where there's more room on the neg. The bends in the ends of the hanger are to keep it away from the door. I've never had a dust problem when drying negs, only loading holders ;-) (this idea because of no darkroom currently).

Since I use Graphic cameras in 4x5, I've never had a carrying problem. I have a photo backpack for a Speed setup and the factory cases for everything else.

My 8x10 setup is in an Osprey Transporter 90 backpack/duffel bag. Thge only thing I could find large enough... Like it was said, people find what works for them...

On that #3 "light leakage" problem. If the inside edges are not feathered into the center, it probably was not leakage. If the inside edges are very sharp, look at the orientation of the negative, then look at your camera. Could the bellows have gotten into the light path? Did you use excessive movements on the front? Light leakage in the holder by it's natur will feather into the center and be pretty obvious...