Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking brass taking lenses into the filed

Re: Taking brass taking lenses into the filed

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    Hmmmm. I've never used any shutter but a Packard, until lately, on 5X7 and 8X10. I just remove the lens board with shutter and all, and put it in a ziploc bag, wrap a towel around it and carry it in the backpack. I even leave the bulb and hose on when I do this. When I get where I'm going, I set up the camera on the tripod, take out the ziploc bag and install the lensboard with lens and shutter in the front of the camera, and go from there. That is a brass lens, by the way. I use a Weston Master III light meter as well, which shows how old-fashioned I really am.
    Very cool about the Weston. This is interesting you can keep the lens attached to the shutter / lens board. I'll look into that as it would save a step. Thanks for sharing your experience, this is what I was hoping to hear.

Best Regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This is a neat solution - but is really only suited to the Cooke's flange mounting. If you could mount the shutter between the bellows and the front standard and have the air "terminals" in the front standard, you use the system with many different sized lenses/flanges.
    This is the way that most copal/sinar shutters are used in the field on non-sinar cameras. The controls stick out at the top/sides.
    Perhaps you could ask the Mods to move this to the DIY forum?
    Hello Steve,

I see what you are saying and will have to think about this further. There are several good features in your suggestion including the shutter is protected and attaching various lenses is pretty easy. I wonder how the old timers back in the 1800's handled this?

A Dallmeyer lens is off at SK Grimes to have an adapter made to allow it to attach to the flange mounted on the lens board. For now the method of mounting is to adapt the lens to the existing flange. Not as elegant a solution as you propose.
    Inspired by your posts (I read all your posts) I've 'collected' some nice soft focus lenses and want to be able to make use most of them.

If the Moderators would like to move this to DIY, that would be fine.

Thanks!

Tim

I don't like to unscrew the lens from the mounting ring---too easy to mess up a thread. If you think it's neccessary, cut a block of styrofome (or something similar) to fit around the whole thing. I never did this as I didn't want plastic dust getting in the shutter. But if you put it in the ziploc bag first, it would be ok. I've been carrying lenses this way with shutters mounted for about 65 years, (Starting with a Speed Graphic that I mounted lenses off of a 3-A Pocket Folding Kodak on just to see the different ways they rendered light.)