Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Needed: Tripod Wisdom

Re: Needed: Tripod Wisdom

The Ries J100 is a nice light tripod for 4x5, but I would recommend the J100-2 (the heavier duty version) if you want to mount anything bigger, especially outdoors in the wind. The Berlebach Report tripod like the 4032 (w/o centre column and with levelling head) is in my experience in between the J100 and J100-2 in terms of load capacity and stability. The Berlebachs, like the Ries, are fine tripods, well made and easy to adjust. However, for 8x10, even the J100-2 is only just enough, outdoors I would want the A100 or a big carbon fibre ideally.

I use an old 3-series Gitzo with a Manfrotto 410 geared head for my Deardorff V8 & Canham 8x10. I plan to get a carbon fiber Gitzo some time in the next year just to drop about 3 pounds. Carbon's also supposed to do a better job of absorbing vibrations than aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by john biskupski View Post
    The Ries J100 is a nice light tripod for 4x5, but I would recommend the J100-2 (the heavier duty version) if you want to mount anything bigger, especially outdoors in the wind. The Berlebach Report tripod like the 4032 (w/o centre column and with levelling head) is in my experience in between the J100 and J100-2 in terms of load capacity and stability. The Berlebachs, like the Ries, are fine tripods, well made and easy to adjust. However, for 8x10, even the J100-2 is only just enough, outdoors I would want the A100 or a big carbon fibre ideally.
    I have been doing fine with my Wehman 8x10 on the J100 when I need to walk any distance with it. Of course if my back could take it I'd haul my A100 everywhere.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I've had the Zone VI "lightweight" tripod since the '90s. It's very good. Not as nice as a Ries (looks a bit more like a shop class project) but I have no complaints at all about the performance. Rock solid, and works well with a big view camera, medium format, and with a 35mm dslr.

I also have a smaller bogen/manfrotto 3021. I use this when I need something more portable or versatile (like for setting up close to the ground). Surprisingly, it isn't much lighter. The big difference between these tripods is in how long it takes them to damp vibrations. I attached a laser pointer to my cameras and bounced the beam off a mirror across the room. It goes crazy when you touch the camera or trip a shutter. On the aluminum bogen, the dot jumps more, and takes up to three full seconds to settle down. On the zone vi, the dot stops moving almost instantly. So I know now that when using the aluminum tripod, work more slowly and to wait a few seconds before tripping the shutter.

I haven't tested any carbon tripods. I'll bet the good ones damp vibration every bit as well the zone vi. And they weigh almost nothing. You just have to decide if saving the weight is worth the expense. One day I may get one; it's not a priority now.

Les

Over year ago I got a Feisol (forgot the number) tripod that will support 26lbs. I needed something tall. Yes, it's a carbon fiber and I find it quite sturdy. It's light/er on the wallet and light in weight....4.8lbs, so I can take it with me on hikes. As to cost, appx 40% of what someone will pay for comparable Gitzo. I like the stability of the 3-legged sticks, since there is no middle column (by choice)....and you can hang some sort of contraption w/sand, stones, or whatever you can get nearby....for further stability. I've had it in the sand and in salt water - no issues. The rubber feet absorb vibrations. The only issue became when I had to use 410 Manfrotto head....and the head could not tilt as I wished. To accomodate the head, I had a riser built out of aluminum for 20 odd bucks...and it works well with my 4x5 and FF...I painted black, so it appears as if it belongs there.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by MIke Sherck View Post
    I'm curious about carbon fiber tripods. From reading over the years I am under the impression that the weight of a tripod contributes to stability, to the point where some photographers hang a bag of rocks from their tripods to increase their weight. Given that, wouldn't a lightweight tripod such as one made from carbon fiber be at a disadvantage compared to a heavier tripod, or does everyone with a carbon fiber tripod carry a bag with them to fill with rocks at need?

Mike
    Mike, you have seen my 11x14 on my Gitzo..rock solid and much more rigid than the exact tripod in aluminum, which I have. Spendy, but you'll never wear it out, never need another and it' super light..E

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Over year ago I got a Feisol (forgot the number) tripod that will support 26lbs....
    These look promising.

By choice, I use an Ansco Commercial tripod. This is the one with a triangular wooden center column, and a tilting platform on top. It seems to absorb vibration real well, is tough as nails, and probably weighs 10 lbs. I prefer the tilting platform as I've never liked ball heads, they want to go too many ways when you go to adjust it. I level the tiltable platform with a level before I mount the camera.