Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Film changing bag or tent

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Re: Film changing bag or tent

I used a bag for years, it was great for traveling, and I had no problems with it....until the day that I did. When I got a whole batch of fogged film back from the lab, I threw the bag in the trash and went to glazers and picked up a Shadowbox tent. It's quite nice, a bit big and heavy for travel, but so is my sinar so it all works out. In my opinion, a $30 bag and/or bathroom at night is fine for beginning, but in the end a nice tent is worth it. If you start with a bag, use it for a while...when you switch to a tent you will enjoy its roominess and comparative coolness that much more.
    Last edited by adam satushek; 18-Mar-2013 at 19:25. Reason: im a poor speller
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

John Olsen

I've found that my expensive bag is breaking up internally and showering the negs with fabric debris. On my February trip I unloaded my film in the bag, then saw I could not use it for loading fresh film. I waited until after midnight in the campground, then taped clothes over the small window in a park latrine and did my film loading there. It was stinky, but no debris on my film. (Really stinky, next trip out I just loaded every film holder I have, so I wouldn't have to reload.) Live and adjust. Maybe a tent is in my future? What's the best brand of tent, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Of course, that's right, Vaughn, but doesn't that pull up have the floor space into becoming sides?
    Yeah...one just needs a bigger bag. But it does not have to be tall.

My best changing bag was the shell of my import pick-up...a tarp over the windows to keep out the star light (no other lights in the Alabama Hills), and a clean sheet (kept clean just for changing the 8x10 holders) laid in front of me on the bed. The van I have now (Eurovan) has more windows, so I'll need a bigger tarp. It will be handy for the 11x14.

My worst changing bag -- a sleeping bag!

The best solution is having enough holders that one does not need to change film! My 20 8x10 holders can last me a week. But I used a changing bag (w/o internal frame) for 6 months on the road, biking in NZ with a 4x5...it is doable. I only had 5 or 6 holders with me.

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    When I made this box I thought it would set the world on fire but no one seemed very excited. I still use it now, 3 years later. I've never had a darkroom. Works great. I'd go with a bigger box next time.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...%28bag-tent%29

So you know how I feel when I disclose a film changing box WITH A FRIGGIN IR CAMERA equipped with it and barely get a notice? LOL

The only time my box doesn't get used is when I'm traveling, and I miss it like hell when I do. Can't imagine doing some of the stuff I do in there without visual aid

I won a Panavision changing bag on Ebay several years ago designed for changing film cassettes in Panavision movie cameras. It's huge and stands up all by itself without a frame(this is dificult to explain) Unfortuanately its not quite large enough for 12x20 It is a cool bit of motion picture history still leading a useful life. albeit with 8x10 B&W instead of Technicolor.
    Sometimes I wonder if Sophia Loren was ever inside there?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

... and if you eventually do get a real darkroom or store-bought changing tent, you can always bury your old cat in the backyard in a nice box like that!

Quote Originally Posted by John Olsen View Post
    I've found that my expensive bag is breaking up internally and showering the negs with fabric debris.
    Would you mind disclosing the brand? I had that happen with my Photoflex tent, which I replaced with a Harrison tent. It's so much better overall, I'd like to think it won't suffer the same fate in the end.

In my opinion; There is a place for both the bag and a tent. The tent is great to work in, roomy non-sweaty etc. However, the tent is bulky and heavy to pack, and mine is a little finicky to set up (well maybe its me).

The bag is light and can be folded small enough to fit a side pocket of my camera bag. It is hartder to work in as everything gets in its own way and hot inside. Yet, I can change film on my lap while riding in a car if need be. It can come along in the field and I can change film, reload and keep shooting.
    I have even changed 8x10 holders in my bag . . .didn't like it but hey, I was good to go.

I have both and use them.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Drew, a tent with the poles left out IS a changing bag and is just as light and packs equally as small. To me, the only place for a bag anymore is a a backup to my tent.
    -Chris

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Someone should invent a tent with inflatable walls or poles.