Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linhof Technika IV

Re: Linhof Technika IV

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    The last Super Technika IV was 78886 made in May of 1963.
    The last V was 2191499 made at the beginning of 1976.
    The first Master Technika was 6411050 made in Sept. 1972.

So that last IV is 50 years old in two months.
    I feel privileged to use a camera that was made to such a high standard more than 40 years ago and which still works and looks so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Takizawa View Post
    Thanks all for the information. The bellows on this particular camera are listed as 'new'.

On Cameraquest.com to spruce up an older Technika they recommend using a dab of glue to secure any loose pieces of the leather covering along with metal polish. Has anyone gone this route?

Second, I read that the bellows extend to about 450mm -- which seems generous for a field camera. So I assume that a 210mm process lens would work on here at 1:1 magnification, or double the bellows?

Third, interesting point about removing the handle. Is that simple to do (and to reattach if desired)?

Last, I am assuming that the cam in the camera will not match the camera lens. If that's the case, how do I tell the condition of the rangefinder? Not that I'll hand-hold this much, but it would be nice to know if that is an option...

Thanks all!
    450mm is about 18 inches. I've owned two Technikas, a V and a Master. The bellows extended about 15 inches on them but I think that was without extending the back which probably adds another couple inches.

I added a strap to my Tech V but it didn't start out with the handle, it had neither a handle nor a strap. The strap was simple to attach under those circumstances, it just screwed into the holes left when the handle or an old strap had been removed. I'd suggest that you talk with the current Linhof authorized repair center about it and see what they have to say or perhaps ask Bob Solomon who posted a message above. He could also give you contact information for the repair center if someone here doesn't post it. I used the former repair center and haven't used the new one.

Since the lens was with the camera when you bought it why do you assume that the cam doesn't match the lens? If you're unsure why not ask the seller or just try it and see if you can focus with the rangefinder? But I think you're correct in thinking that you'll need a functioning cam to check the rangefinder.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The bellows on my ca. 1959 Tech IV are original and perfect.
    So are the leather bellows on my 1954 Tech III

best,

Cor

Okay. The camera arrived today. Looks beautiful, including the rangefinder condition. The cam and lens numbers match, so this is a set. Upper rail is stiff to extend, but that's about it. I think I got a steal at seven hundred dollars and change. One question, how do I set the camera for use with the rangefinder. I see a red infinity catch, which matches the red range scale for the 150mm lens. Is it simply a matter of extending the bellows to the infinity catch and then focusing from there?

Also, the handle has a quick release so I'm good there. Thanks all for your continuing advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Takizawa View Post
    Okay. The camera arrived today. Looks beautiful, including the rangefinder condition. The cam and lens numbers match, so this is a set. Upper rail is stiff to extend, but that's about it. I think I got a steal at seven hundred dollars and change. One question, how do I set the camera for use with the rangefinder. I see a red infinity catch, which matches the red range scale for the 150mm lens. Is it simply a matter of extending the bellows to the infinity catch and then focusing from there?

Also, the handle has a quick release so I'm good there. Thanks all for your continuing advice.
    You pull the lens out of the body till it meets the infinity stops (flip them up first). Assuming that those stops are positioned correctly for the 150 then you will be at infinity at that position and the pointer on the focusing scale for the 150 will indicate that it is at infinity. To make sure see how sharp the image is on the GG at that position and make sure the images in the rangefinder are indicating proper focus. If not then you are going to have to see Rim at Nippon Photoclinic down town.