Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Light Diffuser Panel For Studio

Light Diffuser Panel For Studio

I'm not sure where to put this but I need a see through light diffuser panel in the following size 72"x72" something I can put over a window to diffuse the light it will be mounted in someway permanately for studio work mainly still life photography! Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated also not expensive but doesn't tear easily! Not a sheet something thicker!

Thanks Brian

Re: Light Diffuser Panel For Studio

White acrylic 1/8th inch thick.
    Or you could build a frame that holds diffusers for office overhead fluorescent lights. They're available at building material stores, such as Home Depot, for little money.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If you want cheap try a fabric store for bridal veil, chiffon or organza,
    there's probably more types like what I mentioned.
    Otherwise it's lighting scrim cloth or Lee lighting filter$.
    You may have a hard time getting something 72" wide.

I forgot to mention I need it translucent and only white the actual size I need is 52"x52" but wanted extra to tack to a wall Any rolls that fit that bill I can purchase??

Thanks for the help!

The window I have I noticed last few days since I took over the room has very nice daylight coming through the front window and I see it as a perfect studio spot for natural lighting on many subjects! I want to diffuse the light because it can be harsh at times! Might sound like an oxymoron but I'm still learning!

Thanks Brian
    Last edited by SLVRGLTN; 17-Mar-2013 at 18:23. Reason: More

White acrylic comes in at least two different levels of diffusion. One of kinds is what is used on transparency viewers. Both are translucent, one more so than the other. I bought a 4x4 foot sheet that I've been using for various purposes. I'm not sure if it comes wider than 48".

White Rip-stop nylon can work well, although it has a bit of a pattern and so wouldn't be good for putting highlights on chrome. I just had a local seamstress make a 10ft x 15ft scrim out of this. I also had a black one made.

Matthews and other companies make scrims in various sizes, including huge ones, but they're expensive.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Coroplast, corrugated plastic material that yard display realty signs are made of, comes in sizes up to 4x8 sheets (I think).....big sizes anyway as I had to use my Explorer to get the full sheets home. It comes in many colors including white, black and translucent white. It is also quite reasonable on price when bought directly from a plastic supplier. I think it was under $15.00 per sheet when I bought my stock a few years ago.

The translucent works perfectly as a diffuser (about the same amount of fall off as a then bed sheet at most) and stands alone so that you need no frame and can literally push pin it to a wall as it is only about 1/8" or a bit more in thickness. Cut it to any size you wish with a simple utility knife.

If you are not near an actual plastic supplier, any sign shop would use it and might be willing to order it for you on their next incoming shipment.

I use the translucent as you describe and for building temporary light modifiers for flash, the white for reflectors and for the sides of the home made modifiers (duct tape is all you need to cobble it together), and the black as flags to shade large and small areas in frame for any set up that I am shooting from people to large studio commercial sets.

It weighs almost nothing and lasts forever.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

fabric store-bleached muslin is the cheapest and easiest thick diffusion to work with. If you need thicker, use tracing paper (drafting). It comes on rolls and can be $$$. These are two examples we use daily in the movie industry. plexi is heavy, expensive, and not easy to cut.

(Shrek)

How about just white-washing the window?

If you decide to use acrylic (Plexiglas), the color you want is 2447 which is white. 1/8" will let the most light through.

Kevin
    Last edited by KOG; 17-Mar-2013 at 20:58. Reason: edited for clarity

They make obscuring vinyl film for windows, or there's Krylon paint for "frosting" the window.