Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best location in the US to shoot landscapes in the last week of May?

Best location in the US to shoot landscapes in the last week of May?

I know this is a very general request, but I'm interested in all your thoughts on a good location to shoot landscapes. I just found out that my boss will be out of town the whole last week of May, so I'm thinking I'd like to go somewhere in the lower 48 states with the express purpose of taking photographs. I'll have about 10 days in all. As you'll note, I live in a pretty scenic place already, but would like to try something a little different. Perhaps Yosemite or somewhere along the Sierra Nevada? My intent is to fly there and hopefully hike during the day and camp at night. I'm not too particular on what kind of landscapes I'd be taking (deserts, mountains, etc.). I'm not really looking for tours or anything like that, and would like to keep my overall costs to a minimum. I'm still young of age and regularly hike several miles in mountainous terrain.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Best location in the US to shoot landscapes in the last week of May?

The Arizona desert in very nice at that time of year. In the Northeast, the dogwoods and cherry blossoms will be breaking out, and down south the magnolias will be in their glory. You're going to need a LOT of gas.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I love Carroll County, Maryland's landscapes. Anyone can do Yosemite. Sierra Nevada's have nothing on us. HA!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Where in Alaska? I have a standing invite to go up but never do. I'd be splitting time in Soldotna/Kenai and Tok/St Elias areas
    All beautiful, I'm sure

I'd go Great Smokies but I can see why a drive along CA/Oregon coast would be easier and provide all types of landscapes

Yellowstone and the Beartooths are very nice in the spring.
    -Chris

Thanks for the replies, all. I shall look into the recommendations. I forgot to mention that I would sort of like to stick to one place, perhaps not even rent a car.

sun of sand, I'm located around Wasilla. You should definitely come up! It's all beautiful for sure, though I think the Kenai/Soldotna area is one of my favorite places.

Redwoods in California can be great ANY time of year, well at least in my limited experience with a few trips up there. Lots of great photographs to be made there.

Yosemite's always crowded it seems, tour buses full of tourists a lot of the time 'cept during snowpack and the roads are closed.
    Have fun with your trip, wherever you end up

-Dan

I think you could minimize your driving and maximize your time photographing by spending the entire time in central Oregon and the coast. Start in Central Oregon (fly into Redmond, stay there or in Bend where I used to live). From there you'll have Smith Rock State Park, waterfalls, Painted Hills, semi-ghost town (Antelope and Shaniko, some very nice landscape just driving from Bend to Shaniko), all sorts of stuff. I'm not sure about flowers that time of year but for information about what's in bloom and when go to http://mawillson.mikejensenphotography.com. Then head northwest from Redmond/Bend to Ecola State Park on the coast and from there work your way down the coast and maybe into northern California and the redwoods. Driving from Bend to Ecola takes about 4 1/2 hours, the drive down the coast can take about as little or as much time as you want.

I doubt that your idea of staying in one place and not renting a car is all that feasible for 7-10 days of landscape photography. Even the national parks usually require some driving around.

Get the book "Photographing Oregon" by Greg Vaughan for more detailed information. It's an excellent introduction to the different areas of Oregon and some of what's available in each of them.
    Last edited by Brian Ellis; 18-Mar-2013 at 07:58.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

For a complete change in scenery I would go to Moab, Utah. There is so much to photograph and it will be very different to what you see every day in Alaska. Arches NP, Canyonlands, The Fisher Towers etc. etc. You do need a car but everything is very close by. Accommodations are readily available in Moab.
    Juergen

The Falls in Yosemite Valley should be really cooking that time of year and Yosemite has public transportation, but Tioga Pass being open is always a crap shoot in early spring. I agree though, if you want a change in scenery the desert SW is worth considering as well. There is transportation to Bryce and Zion, IIRC, and if you're flying in and out of the west coast, you may have time to include someplace like Pt Lobos in Monterey for contrast.
    It sounds like a delightful problem!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White