Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

Re: 3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

Quote Originally Posted by tigger_six View Post
    Well some people might be able to print them themselves. I have access to a 3d printer, although I've never used it.
    Yea so many people have 3d printers just sitting around.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    Heh, and I was thinking of doing something very similar; just hadn't gotten around to it.
    Me too. I was going to CNC route 3mm sheets of Perspex (Plexiglass).

I have already made a version of the MOD 54 holder but I think it would be better to wind the films onto a spiral one at a time..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Yea so many people have 3d printers just sitting around.

I'm sure you meant that to be sarcastic, but you might be surprised at just exactly how accessible they are these days. First, many public schools now have 3D printers, which are made available to the public for a small fee if you and/or your child are in the district. Other public facilities I'm sure will follow suit. Furthermore, there are now *many* options for cheap, home-use 3D printers on, or soon-to-be-on the market. The cheapest 3D printer that you can get your hands on on Kickstarter, for example, is around 5-600USD.

Many people view 2013 as *the* year that 3D printing is coming down to the masses (and I agree) and so ideas like this are not premature, and I actually think we should be seeing more of it.

on what keeps the film in place:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 19.39.18.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	91473

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 19.39.47.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	91474

and, on the other end:

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 19.45.25.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	91475

thanks, people! this is very nice to hear. I did not imagined it would cause half this movement.
    www.cleberfigueiredo.net

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Me too. I was going to CNC route 3mm sheets of Perspex (Plexiglass).

I have already made a version of the MOD 54 holder but I think it would be better to wind the films onto a spiral one at a time..

Steve

See, wish I had access to a CNC (LOL). But you know what, I think this 3D printing thing is da shite. It's going to replace CNCing in many areas in the next 5-10 years. Instead of investing in the money, space, and training to do CNCing (which I have no means of doing anyway), I'm going to jump head first into 3DP.

BTW, I love your 6x12 camera page (fell in love the first time i saw it months ago). So much so that I'm building a 6x12 camera... but I'm a wimp, i'm asking a friend to do it for me (with a CNC, of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by cleber figueiredo View Post
    on what keeps the film in place:

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 19.39.18.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	91473

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 19.39.47.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	91474

and, on the other end:

Name:	Screen shot 2013-03-18 at 19.45.25.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	91475

thanks, people! this is very nice to hear. I did not imagined it would cause half this movement.
    Ah I missed the notch you have at the outer end.

It's a nice design but the price is just way to high. If you could bring the price down comparable to the mod54 then I could see it as a nice alternative.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

See, wish I had access to a CNC (LOL). But you know what, I think this 3D printing thing is da shite. It's going to replace CNCing in many areas in the next 5-10 years.
    I don't think it will replace it as 3D printed material doesn't have the strength of a machined solid piece but it is capable of some very intricate detail.

At a trade show last month a company was showing their 3D printers and they had made what initially looked like ordinary chess pieces, but if you picked them up you could look through tiny windows and see that inside they had detailed furniture and a spiral staircase and even the joints in the brickwork were visible.

The CNC router I use is at work. It's quite a big machine intended for PCB manufacture. I'm using it to make parts for my own desk top CNC router.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't think it will replace it as 3D printed material doesn't have the strength of a machined solid piece but it is capable of some very intricate detail.
    I agree it won't replace it all, especially not immediately, but I think it'll replace it in many areas. Areas where a machined piece really didn't require the strength to begin with, but that people relied on CNCing because it would've been cost-prohibitive to cast it but also required intricacy that couldn't be achieved in any other way.

I'm using it to make parts for my own desk top CNC router.
    That's too cool

Here's my buddy's workshop who's making my 6x12 cam:

https://twitter.com/RawheaD/status/2...955392/photo/1

I'm sure you meant that to be sarcastic, but you might be surprised at just exactly how accessible they are these days. First, many public schools now have 3D printers, which are made available to the public for a small fee if you and/or your child are in the district. Other public facilities I'm sure will follow suit. Furthermore, there are now *many* options for cheap, home-use 3D printers on, or soon-to-be-on the market. The cheapest 3D printer that you can get your hands on on Kickstarter, for example, is around 5-600USD.

Many people view 2013 as *the* year that 3D printing is coming down to the masses (and I agree) and so ideas like this are not premature, and I actually think we should be seeing more of it.
    Absolutely. Many universities or technology companies will have one and more often than not it is seriously under-used. People buy it but then they quickly run out of things to print.

I've got two hard rubber tanks with lids and ss 8x10 film hangers you can have for $120 plus shipping.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!