Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

hi there, all of you.

normally I'm only reading the posts here on the forums, but today there is something I want to share with you and get a bit of feedback on.

I'm working with large format since 2009, and using the "taco method" ever since to develop my B&W. the fact is that I cannot blame the method for anything - it never ruined any photo of mine. but it just doesn't feels right, if you know what I mean...

having previously owned several stainless steel tanks because of 135 and 120 film processing, it never interested me to buy another tank of another system. plus, processing you own film is by no means a big thing in Brazil, and everything you want has to come from abroad, which means expensive shipping plus 60% tax customs.

there really isn't any other way for people using metal tanks, is there? MOD54 is a great product on a decent price, but it is for patterson tanks only.

so... this thing about 3d printing has got me a bug in the last couple of months, and I ended up designing something loosely based on the old nikor tank. you can check it out on http://www.sculpteo.com/en/design/8-...lickredirect=1.

I have just finished this design and uploaded it to this website so, some acknowledgements:
    1. this is a very expensive price to me;
    2. I have never tried this design, but for me it seems to work as a concept;
    3. I'm not sure if the printed plastic would survive some of our corrosive chemicals;

well, that's basically it. I would appreciate if you could just have a look at it and let me know what you think.

all the best,

cleber
    www.cleberfigueiredo.net

Re: 3d printed 4x5 film reel for metal tanks

Very cool. I like the design! It's a bit spendy, but considering their equipment costs, I can see it. Could this be expanded for 5x7?

Kevin Kolosky

I think it looks great, but I doubt you would get many people to spend $175 on it.

I would be afraid that the middle brace can cause uneven development.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tigger_six View Post
    I would be afraid that the middle brace can cause uneven development.
    +1

Heh, and I was thinking of doing something very similar; just hadn't gotten around to it.

Is it the first time you've designed something for 3D printing?

The cost of the model is directly proportionate with the amount of material used (i.e., mass of the model), so what you want to do is to figure out all sorts of ways to cut down on the material amount, while sacrificing structural integrity as little as possible.

Also, if I remember correctly, isn't the minimum wall thickness for the materials at Sculpteo some ridiculously large number (like 3mm)?

Shapeways's "White/Black Strong & Flexible" material is availablve from 0.7mm wall thickness, which should cut down on your costs quite a bit.

If you need thicker, consider where you can go and punch out some holes while maintaining the basic function and durability of a member.

I designed a filter holder for Kodak Aero Ektar, and figured I don't really *need* a lot of the material for my purposes… so I punched out some holes, and it's still quite sturdy, and I was able to cut down on the printing cost by around 35%.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/89228...l?li=my-models

I bet I could make the holes a bit larger and space them a bit tighter and knock off another 10% in costs without really sacrificing sturdiness :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    Heh, and I was thinking of doing something very similar; just hadn't gotten around to it.
    Me too. I was going to CNC route 3mm sheets of Perspex (Plexiglass).

I have already made a version of the MOD 54 holder but I think it would be better to wind the films onto a spiral one at a time..

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Me too. I was going to CNC route 3mm sheets of Perspex (Plexiglass).

I have already made a version of the MOD 54 holder but I think it would be better to wind the films onto a spiral one at a time..

Steve

See, wish I had access to a CNC (LOL). But you know what, I think this 3D printing thing is da shite. It's going to replace CNCing in many areas in the next 5-10 years. Instead of investing in the money, space, and training to do CNCing (which I have no means of doing anyway), I'm going to jump head first into 3DP.

BTW, I love your 6x12 camera page (fell in love the first time i saw it months ago). So much so that I'm building a 6x12 camera... but I'm a wimp, i'm asking a friend to do it for me (with a CNC, of course ).

Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    See, wish I had access to a CNC (LOL). But you know what, I think this 3D printing thing is da shite. It's going to replace CNCing in many areas in the next 5-10 years.
    I don't think it will replace it as 3D printed material doesn't have the strength of a machined solid piece but it is capable of some very intricate detail.

At a trade show last month a company was showing their 3D printers and they had made what initially looked like ordinary chess pieces, but if you picked them up you could look through tiny windows and see that inside they had detailed furniture and a spiral staircase and even the joints in the brickwork were visible.

The CNC router I use is at work. It's quite a big machine intended for PCB manufacture. I'm using it to make parts for my own desk top CNC router.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I don't think it will replace it as 3D printed material doesn't have the strength of a machined solid piece but it is capable of some very intricate detail.
    I agree it won't replace it all, especially not immediately, but I think it'll replace it in many areas. Areas where a machined piece really didn't require the strength to begin with, but that people relied on CNCing because it would've been cost-prohibitive to cast it but also required intricacy that couldn't be achieved in any other way.

I'm using it to make parts for my own desk top CNC router.
    That's too cool

Here's my buddy's workshop who's making my 6x12 cam:

https://twitter.com/RawheaD/status/2...955392/photo/1