Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for carrying an 8x10 kit in the cab of a pick-up truck?

Ideas for carrying an 8x10 kit in the cab of a pick-up truck?

Its been three years since I traded my extended cab pick up for a new family steed. Since then, I've been using the hand me down 1979 240D with 260,000 miles on the odometer and its a good car with a huge trunk for camera gear, but its not the best for taking on dirt roads in the mountains(things tend to break off and litter the landscape) and since the AC gave up the ghost, my 40 miile commutes during the 100+ degree summers haven't been that pleasant. I just got a new ride courtesy of the U.S. Forest Service surplus vehicle auction---a 1/2 Ton Chevy 4x4 with only 100,000 miles, dysentary green of course. I picked it up at the ranger station Monday and it runs like a champ---I can't wait to take it across Tioga Pass and cruise 395, but there is the matter of cramming all my gear into the regular cab. I don't have a camper shell or truck box, and the truck is so stiffly sprung I'd be concerned about wear and tear on my gear riding in the bed even if I carefully padded it. So, its all got to fit on the passenger side of the cab. I'm thinking of keeping my camera and holders in my igloo cooler on the floor and somehow strapping the tripod vertically on the seat, but I'm not sure if there would be enough room with the cooler taking up all that room on the floor. I measured the window to see if it (the tripod)would fit in a rifle rack, but it won't(might be a bit hard on the noggin' if it came off while I'm driving!) and I don't want to advertise that I've got photo gear on board anyway. Sooooo, if you've got a standard cab pick-up truck that serves as your photo-ship, and you shoot a honkin' big 8x10, I'm wondering how and where you stow your photo gear??? What works for you?

Thanks!

John (any color as long as its dysentary green) Kasaian
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Buy a convoluted foam mattress pad at a discount store(about $15) then cut it up to fit the floor well of your vehicle. Make a top piece too and maybe some side pieces to make a kind of padded box for the space between your front seat and the firewall. Use duct tape to kind of tie it together with a lid that you can lift up. This will protect your equipment from hard shocks and at least some dust. It will look like crap, so no one will suspect that it has precious camera equipment in it. You can use it to hold your camera bag, or you can even put a layer of the padding in the middle and cut out sections to nest the camera and extra pieces. For the tripod, I suggest getting a piece of PVC pipe that will hold your tripod and put on some easily removable end caps. Also put a little padding on the inside to prevent rattling. Then figure out how you can rig it to stay put in your truck bed while you drive.

I've carried my 8x10 kit in the front seat of my Ford Ranger. Not the most preferable way by any means but it will still work. I suggest strapping the tripod down in the bed if that is somehow possible.

John, I keep mine in a backpack on the floor in front of the passenger seat. Doesn't leave a lot of room for other people or luggage. The tripod fits pretty good at an angle up from the floorboard toward the gear shift, and, if you're careful, it can interfere with your driving almost as much as a good dog. You could stuff the tripod in an old pair of jeans and ride it in the back. They make tool boxes that sit in the bed behind the cab, all the way across, and that may work for extra storage. If you decide to give up and hunt for a camper shell, most of them don't keep out the dust and the rain very well, and you may not improve your situation, plus the pickup won't be any good for going to the dump. I think pickups are just like camera equipment, lots of compromises. Good luck, and hurry up, as we're having a gorgeous spring along the Eastern Sierra. Tom Perkins

I bought a very rugged, gray plastic tote with metal lockdowns from Walmart for $20. It's big enough to hold my Deardorff, ten holders, light meter, and dark cloth. I padded the inside of the tote with the closed cell foam material used as bottom plate seal between the bottom plate and foundation. The tote has a flat top, with a recessed handle, and is strong enough for me to stand on (200#) confidently. I carry my lenses in a pelican case, and hang my tripod in its bag from bungees in the bed. I bought my Chevy 4x4 from a forestry auction as well, but ours are standard Chevy blue, and mine is an extra cab. Does yours have a manual 3-speed?

Just a thought, John: as the passenger space will be consumed by camera gear anyway, have you thought about removing the passenger seat (or, swapping the bench seat, if that's what the truck has, for a driver's captain's chair type seat) to give you more space? Then, you could get a big military surplus case to fit in the space, pad it nicely, bolt it to the floor, and add appropriate locks. Another option would be to use one of those metal tool bins in the forward part of the bed, appropriately padded on the inside, of course, leaving room in the truck bed to set up your tripod.

Thanks for all the great ideas! A split bucket seat would be great if I can find one, right now I've got a bench seat to work with.

Jay, mine is a standard cab with a 5 speed. I'll swing by wally world and have a look at those totes this afternoon.

Tom, I'd be in Lee Vining today if I didn't have to work, maybe next week!

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have a 1986 Ford F-150 with standard cab and bench seat. If the seat is one click from being pushed all the way back, my f.64 BPK backpack will fit behind the seat with the tripod on top of the case. The camera gear is completely out of sight from prying eyes. You would still need another box or pouch to hold your day's supply of holders.

For the tripod you could just put it in a PVC tube with end caps and secure it in the bed. The above suggestions sound good. Personally, I'd go either for the hard-side padded case, or putting in a bed box (locking) and some sort of spring arrangement to dampen vibration.

I traveled cross country when I was doing my route 30 project in a Ford F-150 regular cab with an 8x10 and 8x20 camera. I had an old speed graphic box which held my extra lenses, which I would put in the truck bed right behind the cab. The tripod also went into the truck bed. I had two soft cases which held 8x10 film holders on the floor along with a plastic milk crate for the 8x20 holders and extra 8x10 holders. The camera sat on the bench seat open with the tripod head attached to it. I only hit rain a few times, then I would fold up the cameras and bring everything into the cab with me.

When I stopped to eat I would grab the graphic case and place it on the drivers seat and the tripod went just inside the drivers door. That way everything was locked up in the truck. It worked fine. I just could have anybody else in the cab with me.