Thread: Print pallette/favourite printer

Print pallette/favourite printer

Here is an aesthetic question that pops up now and again in conversations that I am curious what the LF community currently thinks.

I got introduced to LF photography in about 1970. The first two shows that I saw have always haunted me. They were shows of Wynn Bullock and a little later Ansel Adams. The Ansel prints were the later ones which were a little snappier, more contrasty, "zippier" than the early prints. This later "pallette" of Ansel's became my standard and the standard of everyone I knew at the time (anyone who saw the Ansel Adams at 100 show a couple of years ago knows what I am talking about I think) of what a good print looks like and I have always strived for it. This was way before the resurgence of platinum/paladium with its long scale. My sense is that tastes have changed and it is because of the popularity of these long scale alternative processes. Thirty years ago I know what the answer to this first question would have been. By the way there is no right answer.

Do you prefer the early "flatter" for lack of better terms or the later "contrastier" prints of Ansel and secondly;

Who is your favourite printer currently working? One condition-only mention artists who's work you have seen originals of.

For me it is-Ansel the later prints and currently Bruce Barnbaum
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Paul Caponigro (the original not the current digital version), Michael Kenna, and for pt/pd Dan Burkholder. Those are the "famous" ones, out of this forum, Clay Harmon is a damm good printer. I suspect if I saw some of Kerik Kouklis prints I would also like them.

Adams's prints, I like the snappy ones, I saw some rather dull ones at the Gallery for photography in New Orleans, but saw a late Moon over Hernandez in the John Cleary gallery, that one was awsome!

For digital, David Fokos is doing some nice work as well as David G. Osborn.

Octogenarian

Hi Kirk,

I prefer the contrastier prints. A more dramatic approach, where the prints radiate luminoscity. As far as my favorite printers, it's a tie between John Sexton and Alan Ross, with Ray McSavaney running close behind. I like their camera style, as well as the way they print.

Paul Caponegro:The first print of his that I saw broke my heart. It was in a gallery in Western Massachusetts the image of a waterfall with a figure in the stream. Sale Price $100. I did not buy it.

Ansel Adams: I too prefer the more dramatic prints.

John Sexton: I love his trees

Oliver Gagliani: Dark moody abstracts

>>I suspect if I saw some of Kerik Kouklis prints I would also like them. <,

Kerik's prints are very nice indeed, but I think they go beyond great printing. He nails something that is elusive in current landscape work--some sort of essential beauty, a deeper feeling. Impossible to put into words, I suppose. He's carried by a few big name galleries (e.g. Afterimage) and has a web page. www.kerik.com, I think.

The most surprising thing of all is that his work is still affordable. Sort of like Adams, or Kenna, etc before the big price increases. I'm thinking about buying a few myself.

--Darin

Darin Boville

www.darinboville.com

Wynn was surely a fine printer and photographer and that his images haunt you is no surprise. For Ansel, I prefer the later interpretations.

As to current practitioners, if Paul Caponigro is still printing as he did years ago I would include him as an excellent printer. Truth is, I have not seen anything Paul has printed in recent times but am very familiar with his earlier prints.

Currently, high on my list of excellent printers is Steve Mulligan whose recent book "Earthworks" will give you a hint of his printing skill. I have seen Steve's original prints and they are beautiful.

Barry, thank you. Let us not forget Oliver Gagliani.

I also like Adams later prints. I didn't know his printing style had evolved until I saw the book "Ansel Adams at 100". The earlier prints look drab and muddy to me. I saw a Portfilio V print of Clearing Winter Storm at The Detroit Institute of Arts that is the finest and most breath taking photograph I have ever seen.

This is great. Most of my favouirte printers have been mentioned and some I have never heard of that I will surely check out. isn't it amazing when you see a print that truely takes your breath away. I am humbled and inspired by the legacy of these people past and present. This is not a lost art.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"