Thread: How large a print for a gift

How large a print for a gift

I need to make a print (or, rather have made) for a friend. It's of the library named in honor of his mom. My tendancy is to go large, but I wonder, "Isn't that kind of an imposition?". So I'm thinking 11x14. 4x5 Velvia, with cropping out of the vignetting.

Any thoughts?

I think it depends on the display location of the photo. If it is 11X14 matted and framed, it will take a bit of wall real estate. If the print totally dominates the area it may be a little bit *ahem* crass to the sensibilities of some people. If it is hung on the "trophy wall" with certificates, diplomas, keys to the city, pictures of family members with Nancy Reagan, then make it of the appropriate size in relation to other awards and displays. I don't want to be flip or offend, but you have to have a good idea what the photo will be used for to come up with an appropriate size.

I think that 11x14 is probably a good compromise. I recently saw a large show at the Ringling Museum of Margaret Bourke-White prints which were 11x14, and they were large enough to effectivilly hang on the wall, wthout being overpowering. Suggest that you use a small amount of matting and a simple frame.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Jim and Doug you both raise good points.

Without haveing a clear idea of where the print will be displayed you are at a loss. If that is the situation then I would stuck with either an 8x10 or 11x14. I think 11x14 is a nice size. It can still be framed at a reasonable price (or almost reasonable) if the receiver takes it to a frame shop.

Realizing the additional cost of framing I try to give gift pictures framed whenever possible. I have made gifts of prints 16x20 and larger but only when I knew exactly where they were going and knew that framing was not going to be an issue on the other end.

I just bought a bunch of 8.5x11 black frames complete with glass at WalMart for $3.00 each!!!! (They were intended for document framing.) Probably cost less than the inkjet prints I gave away with them.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I would like to speak up for the "less is more" (i.e. "smaller") print size. Consider the investigative eye, the contemplative mind required to examine a "smaller" (i.e. 5x7 or 8x10) print. Presented solo, on a decently-sized wall, the smaller print can indeed make a more powerful statement than if it takes up a larger percentage of the wall. This print can also be placed among other selected images to create a themed presentation.

If the subject matter is more personal than public, the smaller size might make it more suitable for appreciating in a more private area (bedroom or office). I've seen this in the home of a university president, who had a variety of images all over the house, but in his office he had a few really nice, small, framed photos of personal interest that might have looked great out front, but carried a special impact in this smaller, personal space.

Few of my own images were worth the trouble of printing 16x20; people recognize and respond to the good pictures, even if I think they're "small." Any picture given in a frame has a much better chance of being displayed -- and appreciated -- by the recipient. So I agree with Bill's advice of plain, simple, elegant frames for gifts. I've always found very nice ones at Target.