Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine Subscriber Only Section

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

View Camera Magazine Subscriber Only Section

I'm trying to get into the subscriber only section at the View Camera website. I put in my name for the user id, then the 6 digit code from the mailing label in the password section, but I couldn't get in. Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Brian -- I think you need to type in VCSUB as your user ID, then the six-digit number.

Be certain that "VCSUB" is in uppercase letters, it does not work in lowercase

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Thanks guys- problem solved. I had been typing in my full name as the user ID!
    Brian Vuillemenot

The instructions are always on the bottom of each issue's Table of Contents page and on page 2.

The VCSUB is the user ID and remains the same issue to issue. The six digita number seqence changes every issue and is always on the address label.

steve simmons

Steve,

Ahhhh that "subscriber's only" thing! I own every single issue of VC as I subscribed way back on day 1. I stopped subscribing some time after, however, opting to buy VC at my local book store instead. This, after receiving too many damaged issues from the Post Office. Although the website's "subscriber's only" section brings value to some, it cheats me - a full paying VC enthusiast - from enjoying those added features. How about making it a "buyer's only" section with an accesss code in VC proper as opposed to the mailing envelope? Would that not be fair enough for all?

We get far less money from the retail buyers then we get from the subscribers. By the time the booktore and the dstributor take their share we are left with far less than what a subscriber gives to us.I have never understood the atitude that you are being cheated by buying newsstnad copies. We are publishng the same size magazine we've always published and we have not raised the newsstand price in ovr 10 years. You are getting the same value you've gotten off the newsstand since 1994 or before.

Buy subcribing you pay less, you get access to the subscriber section, and we get more. It seems like a winning play for both sides.

Our magazines come in a plastic wrapper and shold be protected.

steve simmons

I have also found exactly the same problem. You read an article which is some ways really a "teaser" for what is on the website. So you get a fairly brief article with "read the full extended details on our subscriber website" which, as I buy at the newstand I can't get into.

Last time I was in the book store I didn't even bother to look at the View Camera because the last few issues ahd become rather frustrating (bought Blindspot instead).

"You are getting the same value you've gotten off the newsstand since 1994 or before." Not at all correct - some articles are really incomplete "extracts"

I know this has come up before, so may be repetitious... but I dislike the subscriber-only section. I enjoy sitting down with a magazine, without the computer bright and humming in front of me, without the thought 'I should just check my email/that film order/that photographer's portfolio/the weather etc etc'. Although I download the PDFs to read later, in years to come, they will have no relation to the article in the magazine, but will exist as standalone pieces, all incomplete. Maybe people would be willing to accept a price increase to add a few pages to the magazine?

I got my new issue today and I have just become a subscriber after buying it at the newstand for five years. Yes, it's bent, but yes, it's a cool magazine. I really like the mix of technical, photographic info, and features. It's one of the best magazines out there. Anyway, I see my subscription more as a support of their work than anything else.