Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive wood field camera source in Europe

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

Inexpensive wood field camera source in Europe

I did a quick search (not just or only here) but I haven't found answer that will satisfy me (maybe there isn't such answer?')).
    I'm looking for distributor or reseller of folding wood 4x5" cameras somewhere in Europe (preferably Middle Europe - Austria, Deutchland, Neederland, maybe Italy...).
    I'm looking for Tachihara or Shen-Hao (or any similar) camera in range from 5 to 8 hundreds dollars. USD. What I can find is france reseller with prices almost two times larger then those in US...?! And U.K. reseller with too high shipping cost (like he will swim over La Manche :-))
    (Yes, I would like to buy used for less than 500 USD, but it seams that I'm just unlucky... for used my limit would be 450-500, and on last two items I have found on some *bay site I was outbided by just few dollars... arghhhhh. Not to mention that I would like to have that camera in 3 weeks from now ;-)))

Tnx for any help,
    Janko.

Janko,

Why not just get it from either Jim at Midwest Photo (www.mpex.com) ifm you are looking for used or fromeither Jim or Jeff at Badger (www.badgergraphic.com) for new. Either one will ship internationally and I can't imagine the shipping would be more than 50 USD and if they shipped on Monday you'd have it in a week.

You can email Jim at .. jim@mpex.com, I don't have Jeff's email handy. Jim should be in the store tomorrow and usually answers promptly.

Good Luck,

Ted

Octogenarian

Hi Janko,

Midwest Photo Exchange is a direct importer of new Tachihara and Shen Hao cameras. They have a few new Tachi's in stock and are expecting a shipment of Shen Hao's any day now (I just talked to Jim today). Jim can ship internationally, via Fedex. If you send him an E-mail immediately (jim@mpex.com), you could have a brand new camera in your hands well within your 3 week time frame. Both cameras can be purchased new for a price well within your budget, including the taxes and shipping charges. If you do not need rear rise, the ability to use a wide angle bellows, and Graflex sliders to hold a rollfilm back, the Tachi is a great camera. It is quite a bit lighter in weight than the Shen Hao, has a Fresnel viewing screen, and the build quality is excellent.

Jean-Louis Llech

Janko,
    You'll find the lowest prices for wooden cameras in France, including Shen-Hao, Tachihara and Ebony at the "Galerie Photo's store"

It is the store of the french site for large format photography, "Galerie Photo"
    You'll probably consider that prices in France are too high, but french resellers don't decide by themselves what will be the import price and taxes.
    (For instance, the Linhof's cameras and accessories prices are exactly the same than the factory's in Germany)

This site nevertheless deserves a visit.

I just went to the "Galerie Photo" site and did the math. Jean-Louis has listed a very good site, as there is a great selection of cameras shown.

The same camera from Midwest or Badger will cost about $600-$625 in U.S. dollars, plus shipping and import duties. In France it will be $1190.97 (U.S.), plus tax and shipping at current exchange rates. This sounds like a better deal with shipping from the U.S. as Ted has suggested. Lens boards are cheaper as well, so make sure to order what you need as one package and save some money.

Well, tnx for all your responses... I just hoped that someone will know if any LF shop exist near me (so I could visit the shop and choose by looking at particular camera). I'm in "Middle Europe"... North Croatia to be more precisely.
    Just can't imagine that no one in Germany or Italy, or Swiss have such shop...

Eugene, Galerie-photo is fine site and well equipped shop, but is much more expensive than those US shops. Here is my calculation:
    shen-hao hzx 45-II ) in France: Euro 990,00 = 7.335,90 HRK (Croatian's Kuna is how will I pay to AMEX.)
    shen-hao at Badger Graphic: USD 625,00 = 3.844,64 HRK
    Tachihara 45GF in France: Euro 795,00 = 5.890,95 HRK
    Tachihara at Badger Graphic: USD 595,00 = 3.660,09 HRK

So, difference for shen-hao (FR-US) is so huge (3491 HRK, USD 567,51, Euro 471,12) that I can buy some lens or another camera as well. In Tachihara's case difference is slightly smaller, but still very huge (2231 HRK, USD 362,68, Euro 301,08)
    (Tachihara at Mpex cost just 4 USD More, so that difference won't be counted in my final decision.)

Btw, can I get your opinion on Badger Brand F1 Wood Field 4X5?

Tnx again!

Octogenarian

Hello again, Janko,

If you send Jim, at Midwest, an e-mail (jim@mpex.com), you will find that the prices he posts on his website are posted there for the competition to see. The actual purchase price can often be negotiated for less. He has no control over the exchange rate and the cost of shipping and taxes.

The new Badger brand wood field has not been around long enough for an accurate long-term evaluation. Like the Shen Hao, it is manufactured in China. Although it has the Graflock sliders feature that the Tachihara does not have, IMHO the Tachi is a better buy. I just purchased a new 4X5 Tachi, for my wife, from Midwest for $550 USD. That is only $25 USD more than the Badger. The Tachi has been a proven performer for many years. I owned the Calumet woodfield version of the Tachi in the late 1970's.

Tnx Eugene,
    one more, of-this-topic, question: can some one teach me the difference (in few simple words) of graflock and international standard back... I own sinar and except one old wooden 8x10 camera (18x24cm, to be more precise) I haven't worked with other kind of cameras, so... graflock is...?
    tnx again and again...

And: yes... I would like to buy Tachihara more than any other camera (in that price range), but I' m just limited with money I can invest in LF stuff right now so I have to make a proper decision. (Have just bought 2000 sheets of efke 25 and new room for my 2 years old daughter... and haven't mentioned my wife about my Tachihara plans yet... cross your fingers for me ;-)))

He doesn't list his prices for new equipment, and I don't know if he carries the Tachihara, but you could check Christoph Greiner in Germany:

http://www.greiner-photo.de/

"International back" is just a way of avoiding the use of another manufacturer's tradename. They mean the same. If there is any doubt in the matter, look for the two sliding parts that hold rollfilm holkders, etc., in place when the groundglass is removed.