Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to post a really great large format scan?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Anyone want to post a really great large format scan?

Ian Mazursky has sample scans on his Prepress Express site.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    And you are going to find it mightily difficult to find someone who considers there work to be fine art to hand over to you the a file that is not reduced down to web quality.
    Like I said, put a big dumb watermark on it.

You could also post a full resolution crop.

Drew Wiley

What's even the point of a large format scan unless you're going to do something with it, or have very specific parameters
    you're going to pin down? You'll learn more looking through a loupe at an original. Those sample shots in Ian's could have
    been taken with a disc camera with vaseline over the lens and nobody would know the difference over the web.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I can learn a lot from a scan. I work with digital files. I can get a sense of useable detail present and the signal/noise ratio. And I can print a slice of it.

I can't learn anything from looking through a loupe because, like I said, I'm interested in looking at high end scans.

Why are you here, Drew?

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    No it wouldn't. The web simply transfers information. If one is willing to wait for it, you can view a full resolution, uncompressed tiff over the internet just fine.
    Yes I know it transfers information. It is simply just not reasonable to post a file that big to a web page. It would take forever to load. Would you want to wait 15 minutes to an hour for a wet page to load.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I can learn a lot from a scan. I work with digital files. I can get a sense of useable detail present and the signal/noise ratio. And I can print a slice of it.

I can't learn anything from looking through a loupe because, like I said, I'm interested in looking at high end scans.
    Then why not pay to have your own negative scanned.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'm don't wish to spend over $100 to satisfy this interest.

People transfer files this big and bigger via the web and ftp all the time. It's not a big deal. If you have no interested in participating, no one's twisting your arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Yes I know it transfers information. It is simply just not reasonable to post a file that big to a web page. It would take forever to load. Would you want to wait 15 minutes to an hour for a wet page to load.
    Not on my Internet connection it wouldn't. Besides, you can start a download in a separate window and come back to it later when it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I'm don't wish to spend over $100 to satisfy this interest.
    So maybe you do not have quite of an interest in the subject at all?
    On the other hand, there is enough of info available on the web already, including overviews and 100% res crops from both High End flatbed and drum scanners. Some of the scans are even presented side by side.

the transfer is no problem, given a link you can download all night if needed... next question is.. what do you want.. what do you mean by "full resolution"? Of the hardware capability? Just answering that will start some disagreement on this list. And then with what size film, 4x5? Lastly, you want the operators finalizing and tweaking or a raw scan? Just the choices with aperture and then post USM will vary things a lot, and again results will vary based on hardware and operator.
    I don't mean to complicate things... just seeing if there is a way I can help.
    Tyler