Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining old folding leather viewing hoods advice wanted

Maintaining old folding leather viewing hoods advice wanted

I have at least 4 old leather folding leather viewing hoods in good, but drying shape. I have some that are destroyed by dry-out and usage. I have also a B&J 5X7 cloth hood that has permanently imprinted on the OE GG.

I would like to keep the good ones in usable condition, as I am now using these cameras, which have obviously been unused for decades.

Any advice on the proper 'goose grease' to use?

I don't want to over do it and end up with a greasy camera, GG or film holders.

I have used Obenauf Heavy Duty Leather Preservative for boots and jackets, it's great, but it is a grease. Any ideas?
    Tin Can

Re: Maintaining old folding leather viewing hoods advice wanted

Yes this is something I've been wondering but in regards to bellows. I have treated my 2D bellows with Lexol Leather Conditioner, definitely improved the suppleness, and so far I don't see any I'll affects. One the plus side the Lexol isn't oily or greasy. Might be worth a try on your viewing hoods. Hopefully others will weigh in as I'm sure there are other products that are as good or even better.

Roger

I will look into Lexol. I have never used it. I do have some real dry B&J red bellows, but I think they are plastic. I do have leather 8x10 Horseman bellows I better get after. The plastic bellow may be un-saveable. I think current advice is Armor All is bad for plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Yes this is something I've been wondering but in regards to bellows. I have treated my 2D bellows with Lexol Leather Conditioner, definitely improved the suppleness, and so far I don't see any I'll affects. One the plus side the Lexol isn't oily or greasy. Might be worth a try on your viewing hoods. Hopefully others will weigh in as I'm sure there are other products that are as good or even better.

Roger
    Tin Can

Try you local auto parts stores for the Lexol. Not sure what to use on the B&J bellows, but your right about Armorall. That's also something Iv'e been wondering about too, for you guessed it, a B&J red bellows.

Roger

Pure Neatsfoot oil, applied sparingly. Lexol is about as good, but contains water so be careful not to dissolve any glues.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I will look into Lexol. I have never used it. I do have some real dry B&J red bellows, but I think they are plastic. I do have leather 8x10 Horseman bellows I better get after. The plastic bellow may be un-saveable. I think current advice is Armor All is bad for plastic.
    Armor All is good for making your car's upholstry shiny and slippery, not much else.
    When plastic begins to get brittle, it's losing it's plasticisers. Time to replace it.

(Shrek)

You can also use Pledge furniture polish, the yellow can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    You can also use Pledge furniture polish, the yellow can.
    I guess the oils and waxes would make dried out leather a bit more supple, but the natural oils in something like Lexol or Neatsfoot oil will actually preserve and "feed" the leather.

Neatsfoot or mink oil. If the object is really dry, apply some oil, heat the object in a warm oven (less than 150 degrees) and then apply again. The heat will thin the oils and make them wick further into the leather by capillary action.
    -Chris

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

I have a Teechnika III with original bellows, when I got it the bellows was so dry and all I had was Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula hand cream. Amazing results!