Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teen photographer

Re: Teen photographer

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    If you can find an affordable field camera i think you'll be a lot happier than with a monorail. My college had calumet rail cameras in big cases and I did not enjoy the bruises i got hauling them around.

You can start with one lens. I used one lens for years. Since you've been taking pictures with another format, you already have an idea of what angle of view you use most often. Take your favorite focal length and multiply by 3-1/3 to get the approximate equivalent in 4x5.

Do you know how you plan to print? If you want to make contact prints, or have access to a scanner than can take big film, then going bigger than 4x5 may be practical. Otherwise I suspect it will cost more and limit your choices more.
    Ahhh... The problem with printing. I still haven't found any labs in my area that process LF film. My dad used to have his own dark room, so we could probably develop it on our own and send them to be scanned elsewhere. If anyone knows of any labs in SW Ohio I'd love to know about them.

A big thanks for the warm welcome and the advice

Very likely yes for the majority of cameras under consideration.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by jmandell View Post
    Thanks for the advice! As for the tripod, I have a Manfrotto 055xprob with a 410 geared head, would this be sturdy enough?

If maybe best to find a good used view camera system instead of purchasing the bits required individually. There are plenty of good used view camera systems on the used market. It is a matter of time when a good deal on a good camera system will appear for you that will fit your budget.

Adding up the cost of items like film holders, case, focus loupe and all the other bits required can easily add up fast. Compared to a good used view camera system
    that could have these bits and more included for the price.

Stay way from any camera that "needs work" like leaky bellows, locks that do not work properly, un-stable due to worn parts and ... Do start with at least one lens that has a good reliable and consistent shutter within the normal focal length range.

One of the most discouraging things for folks new to LF is a flaky shutter on a poor lens and a camera that will not behave, this will cause un-ending grief and very discouraging to the point when the new LF'er might give up and never to try LF again.

Field camera or monorail depends more on the types of images you're intending to create. It is better to consider the lenses to be used and where the images are created to decide a specific type of camera.

Beyond the photo hardware, focus on image making as the skills gained from using a view camera has the potential improve your image making skills.
    It is also wonderful to see young adults become interested in crafting images by using what is basically a flexi-box with a lens on one end and recording media on the other end, or the basic camera from the very beginnings of photography.

Bernice

Hi all,

I am 16 and I have been shooting digital with a Nikon D700 for a while now. I shoot sports for school, but my real love is landscapes.

I wanting to branch out from my little digital bubble and experience what the photographers did before digital.

I have been looking around for some good deals on cameras (4x5 mostly), but I would like some suggestions.

I look forward to learning and participating in this community.

Another suggestion...

Some folks like 5x7 format, it's big enough for contact printing, (less darkroom gear needed).
    The slightly wider 1:1.4 format is a nice fit for landscapes (closer to 35mm format).
    There's a mindset among some that 5x7 film is "dead" (so they may dump a 5x7 camera cheaply).
    5x7 is a comfortable fit between a svelte 4x5 and an 8x10 brute.

Reinhold

(Shrek)

...my real love is landscapes.

(...) and experience what the photographers did before digital.
    Before digital, photographers did what photographers do: make photographs. The determining factor isn't the technology used to make the image, but the vision, the desire to tell a story in a way that hasn't been told, or a way of seeing the world that hasn't been seen. Will LF help? Well, it helped me, but that doesn't mean it's the only way to go! If you can make a good photograph with your digital camera, then with the same basic vision you will be able to make a good photograph with large format. Assuming you take the time to learn the constraints of LF, same as you had to learn for whatever digital contraption you're using now. Most of us shoot large format by choice, because 1) we're old.... that's what we learned with; 2) we're old and we never bothered with all that digital crap; 3) we're old, and the slow pace of large format suits us better than taking hundreds of snapshots with digital hoping something turns out.

Did I mention we're old, as in we, as a group, pre-date the invention of the transistor? My favorite camera was made in 1888; my favorite lens: 1874.

Had din din with a friend a few weeks ago who owns a photography business. She employs several young adults who produces images with digital camera. They take hundreds of frames of which maybe one or two are OK. One of her complaints regarding this group of photographers is the waste of time trying to sort over all those frames and time wasted trying to get a good image with no good results. It is the lack of discipline and the corruption of what appears to be zero cost images. This mind set appears to be common some groups of digital image makers.

One of the skills learned from doing film photography and sheet film is learning how to make each sheet of film count in place of "spray and pray."

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post

the slow pace of large format suits us better than taking hundreds of snapshots with digital hoping something turns out.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Most of us shoot large format by choice, because 1) we're old.... that's what we learned with; 2) we're old and we never bothered with all that digital crap; 3) we're old, and the slow pace of large format suits us better than taking hundreds of snapshots with digital hoping something turns out.

Did I mention we're old, as in we, as a group, pre-date the invention of the transistor? My favorite camera was made in 1888; my favorite lens: 1874.
    1: Not me
    2: Not me, digital doesn't measure up
    3: It just takes more film holders.

jmandell, welcome to the forum! I bought a Graflex Super Graphic for $500 years ago, and I'm still using it. Press cameras fold up into a nice package, and a lens can stay on the camera. They are sweet to use, and give decades of service. They are "light" at about six pounds, and very sturdy. The lenses are sharp, and mine can give me bicycle spokes a block away.

Have you seen a 4x5 negative yet? If not, after you get your camera and make your first exposure at, say, f/8 or f/11, take a look at the negative with a really good magnifying glass. It's called a "loupe." Or use a real microscope. Look at the detail! Oh, the detail! It's a whole sheet of wonderful goodness. Does it get better? Only with a larger piece of film.

And then you'll have fun for life!

As for your first camera, a Calumet Orbit or similar is a LF monorail camera with a handle on the top. It's very sturdy, very reliable, and it's made to be easily carried. These are very cheap, too. This means that you'll have more money for a good lens. And in LF, a lens has to be really, really bad before it's actually bad. (I'm not sure if there are any truly bad LF lenses.)

Common focal lengths for 4x5 LF go from 135mm to 210mm, which is a bit wide to a bit "long." A 135mm lens is a moderate wide angle lens, something like a 40mm lens for your D700. You should be able to pick up something from one of the major manufacturers, like Nikon, Fuji, or Schneider, for $200 or less. Calumet is rebranded Schneider, and it's a fine lens.

We have lots of information on the site, so read up! A lot of us here, me included, use our bathrooms as darkrooms. I keep my enlarger on a cart, and wheel it in and out. It works just fine, and takes less than 30 minutes to set up for enlarging, and less for developing film.

Enjoy your new adventure, and have fun!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

-Chris

I bought a Burke & James from a fellow forum member about 5 or 6 years ago for $250. It has 4x5 & 5x7 backs and is great. If you're short of readies I would recommend a 150mm lens and a Kodak Ektar 203 would serve you well for both formats to start with. Don't listen to all the crap they come out with about B&J's, I added a few cheap fiber washers where I thought they were needed and it locks down well.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

1) we're old.... that's what we learned with
    I learned on 35mm and switched to LF when I was 20, decades after the transistor showed up.

2) we're old and we never bothered with all that digital crap;
    I'm absolutely delighted with all the digital crap. At least with the best of it.

3) we're old, and the slow pace of large format suits us better than taking hundreds of snapshots with digital hoping something turns out.
    The kid says he wants to learn LF. You don't have to sell him on it with nonsense like this. Photography by attrition existed long before the digital camera was invented. And a digital camera doesn't force anyone to work that way. Taking lots of pictures has worked quite well for some people (Winogrand, Robert Frank, etc.)—different strategies for different kinds of work.