Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara history?

Re: Tachihara history?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    ...They’re very nice cameras overall if you don't care about having front or rear shift or back rise and fall (which I didn't) and don’t need a bellows longer than 13 inches.
    I agree – the Tachi has the movements I need for 97% of my landscape shots. However, it has more movements than people might suspect. For example, on a sturdy tripod, simply rotate the entire camera 90 degrees, and presto:

• Front rise/fall converts to front shift
    • Front swing converts to front axial tilt
    • Back swing converts to back axial tilt

These “conversions” of course apply to many other cameras, too. ;^)

Below is a photo showing the camera’s removable back, a quick way to switch between “landscape” and “portrait” orientation. Very convenient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tachi.jpg  

brittain123

Ouch!

I saw that thing pop up Sunday and emailed the person 4 times with no response! I was getting so mad they wouldn't even reply and seeing this post just rubbed salt in the wound. You must have been quick to him. Congrats!

I have been playing with an old Calumet monorail for a few months and was super excited to see a wood field camera show up locally. Especially at that price! I do mostly landscape and have hiked with it a few times but not far. I'm still learning everything and have found some great deals on c-list. Especially in darkroom equipment. I pretty much got a full set up (including 4x5 enlarger) for under $200. I guess a lot of people are getting out of it but I have always been a b/w film person.

It looks like a nice camera I am sure you will be happy with it. If not, let me know

Dan

Dave Carroll

Sorry, Dan!

Yeah, I emailed him the day it was listed, but he didn't get back to me for a few days either. I honestly thought it had been sold, and then he called out of the blue. He said he had been inundated with emails I guess I had been the first to respond, and it was good of him to get back to people in order.

If another one pops up on there, I promise I won't buy it

Treat those toggles that tighten the front standard carefully. Our students kept busting those off.

They are not what I would call a student-grade camera. Treated with respect and normal handling, they'll last. In the hands of students who are using 4x5's for the first time, not so long. Our Horseman Woodman 4x5's have lasted much much longer (as has our Shen-Hao).

From memory I recall that Masao Tachihara started making cameras about 1930. Previously he worked for Konishiroku but considered them as having a limited future and he wanted to make his own cameras. Konishiroku went on to become Konica so I guess they came good eventually. The Tachihara camera business eventually passed to Masao's son Michio Tachihara who carried on the tradition. Tachihara still make cameras under their own name and, according to modern commercial imperatives, for any other name wanting a well refined wooden view camera design.

I understand that Tachihara transliterates into "man stands in the field" hence the designation "fielstand" on their cameras.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Turns out they still use the name "Hope". Check out their current price list - scroll all the way to the bottom:

http://www.netlaputa.ne.jp/~tachi-ss...st09.01.01.pdf

I have both a Tachihara 4x5, circa year 1999 and a Tachihara 5x7, circa 2010. Both are fine, but very differernt cameras.

The 4x5 is a competent camera, lightweight, and quite nice for backpacking. The bellows is on the short side and a 300mm lens, in my experience, is the practical limit for the camera. I use a 300mm Nikkor on mine but often with a short "top hat" extension tube to allow focus at less than infinity. When I plan to do some shooting any distance from the car, the 4x5 Tachihara is the camera that goes into the backpack.

The 5x7 Tachihara, a rare bird it would seem, from the number of posts on this forum, is something else again. It is NOT a scaled up 4x5, rather, it is a scaled-down 8x10. It is relatively heavy, rigid, robust, and completely competent in the field. When I shoot a distance from the trailhead, I tote this camera on wheels with a Sherpacart - a heavyish tripod isn't a bad idea as well. The camera could use a longer bellows but, IMHO does most things quite well.

A 450mm lens is about as long as I've found practical - a 19 inch Artar will work for a distant subject.

I do note that the bellows on both the 4x5 and 5x7 Tachihara are prone to wrinkling (that is to say, mashing ) the bellows when the camera is folded.

I know a few years have gone by since the last reply to this thread, but I am excited to say I am getting my Tachihara finally! I have been using a horseman FA 4x5 and its a great little camera, but so frustrating when you want to use rear tilt and swing. The four small posts are a pain to click out and manoeuvre. I have read up on the Tachi and realise that it, like many other cameras, has its drawbacks, but geez! they are an art form by themselves! Thankyou Maris for the history, have been googling for hours to find something on the company!

Drew Wiley

I used to encounter Tachis periodically along the trails twenty years ago, along with Wista wooden folders, and of course metal Technikas. Now I only encounter me, though a couple weeks ago I cross paths with young fellow who just acquired a Zone VI.

My Tachihara arrived, it was listed on feebay as "Excellent ++++" It was a disappointment, the brass electroplate had virtually all but gone due to oxidization, this was hidden by strong lighting on the pics. One of the securing screws for the front standard was badly burred, and I noticed superglue around the screw. The bellows, although they appeared to be light tight, had seen better days and the front and rear swing tightening toggles were suspect, with two that would not stay locked. So it was quickly repacked and sent back to the seller in Japan. I must say I was impressed by compactness, weight and a great focussing screen. This particular camera had sat on a shelf for many years methinks!
    Browsing through the ads I noticed a Shen Hao HZX45 IIA, I did some research online, reading quite a few reviews and vids and opted to drown my disappointment on purchasing the Shen Hao. These seem to always get positive reviews, Brand new it was only slightly more than the second hand "excellent++++" Tachi. It just looks sturdier with more movements, and longer bellows, though extra weight and a average focussing screen is the trade-off.