Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tachihara history?

Re: Tachihara history?

I just took the Tachi I acquired last week out into the field yesterday. The camera was a very capable performer and oh my, what a pleasure to carry compared to the Speed Graphic I just sold to fund this purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewch59 View Post
    My Tachihara arrived, it was listed on feebay as "Excellent ++++" It was a disappointment, . . .
    I would send it back, if possible. If it was purchased through PayPal (for Goods Sold), or through EBay, you have a good chance of getting your money back.

A few months ago, I sold a Tachihara that truly was in Exc. ++ condition. (The buyer responded back that, on receipt, it was in "immaculate" condition.) From my observation of that camera, a Techihara can e a very nice, sturdy (for it's size), camera.

Don't settle for less, when you paid for more.

Thanks Neil, yes I did return it and the seller was very good about it. Methinks they play on the fact that it is an pain to return and most would just accept the flaws. I was out of pocket though, they have no postal insurance sending to Japan, so I had to foot the bill and tracking, lesson learnt. I don't want to compare, as I think the tachi would have been a great camera in better condition, but the Shen Hao is built like a tank. I feel a lot more confident handling it and not afraid something might snap off. The extra movements are a bonus, but the gg was bit of a disappointment.

I seem to have bought a brass Tachihara at an auction (4x5")! All the links to manuals earlier in this thread seem to dead.
    Does anyone have any current links to info?

Website per Ken is "404 not found" for me.
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Peter, it is time you learned about archive.org.

Here: https://web.archive.org/web/20130927...i-ss/sub1.html and still in Japanese.

Thanks!
    It looks like GF brass finish model. The GFR is the same, I think - just with red bellows. The first model I would guess.
    Now to find a reserve base plate!

Now this is probably common knowledge, but not mentioned in this thread. The name tag is glued to one of the side pieces of the spring back and have often been removed by previous owners. Not a nice touch on any otherwise stylish design! The modern type Tachiharas have pencilled serial numbers written on the rear base crossmember. The first two numbers are the last two digits of the year it it was made and the next are the number of that camera in that particularly year. So mine is 90 323 - camera no. 323 made in 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris Rusis View Post
    From memory I recall that Masao Tachihara started making cameras about 1930. Previously he worked for Konishiroku but considered them as having a limited future and he wanted to make his own cameras. Konishiroku went on to become Konica so I guess they came good eventually. The Tachihara camera business eventually passed to Masao's son Michio Tachihara who carried on the tradition. Tachihara still make cameras under their own name and, according to modern commercial imperatives, for any other name wanting a well refined wooden view camera design.

I understand that Tachihara transliterates into "man stands in the field" hence the designation "fielstand" on their cameras.
    Your memory is right on target -- with the first factory opening in 1925. In the early 1980's, Tachihara was offering three cameras through Lee Beeder in Hollywood -- a 6x9, 4x5, and 8x10. I only have details on the 4x5, which did not appear to have any "name", such as "Hope" or "Fielstand". It weighed 3.3 pounds with a 13" bellows. Popular Photography said that they came out with a "Type II" in 1984 which they list as having some rear-backward bellows extension, but the pictures don't seem to bear that out. It might be there -- and explain the differences in reported weight.

I was looking for a 4x5 wooden field at the time, but decided to go with a TOKO NIKKI II -- very similar, but with 14" of extension, slightly heavier, but with lots of rear -- forward and backward movement, important for very long and short lenses. The price was identical and it had brass mechanisms -- more attractive in my opinion.

I bought my 4x5 Tachi from Lee Beeder in the spring of 1982. Don't recall how I found him, but a co-worker also had one, so I'd seen one at least. Mine had the 'Hope Tachihara' sticker on the back. Never noticed a s/n in pencil. A lovely and functional featherweight; I'd seen an Ikeda with red bellows in a local store but thought it too flimsy. I replaced the Tachi after ten years' hard use and sold it five or six years after that. Wish i'd kept it.