Thread: Commercial Ektar 8-inch questions - cable release and filters

Commercial Ektar 8-inch questions - cable release and filters

Hi Everyone,

I've got a Commercial Ektar 8-inch lens. I've been using it for a while but have a couple of questions.

First, the cable release. Is it supposed to take a standard threaded one? Mine has a socket but doesn't appear to have any threads, so just trying to figure out if that is normal or if my copy is defective somehow. I just use the lever to release the shutter.

Second, the Series VII filters. I understand how they work and there seem to be a lot of adapters to use Series VII filters on a normal threaded lens, but I can't seem to find any that go the other way. Is it possible to adapt regular filters to the Series VII mount somehow so that I can use my normal filters? Or does anyone know the filter thread on the front of the lens?

Regards,
    Anthony

Re: Commercial Ektar 8-inch questions - cable release and filters

The cable release socket has a plastic insulator that isolates the cable release from the flash sync power. It appears that the insulator with threads have failed and now gone. That cable release socket will need to be replaced or a threaded part made and pressed in place to replace the missing one.

Seen push on series filter adapters for Kodak Ektars. I'll use a Sinar filter holder with

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've got a Commercial Ektar 8-inch lens. I've been using it for a while but have a couple of questions.

First, the cable release. Is it supposed to take a standard threaded one? Mine has a socket but doesn't appear to have any threads, so just trying to figure out if that is normal or if my copy is defective somehow. I just use the lever to release the shutter.

Second, the Series VII filters. I understand how they work and there seem to be a lot of adapters to use Series VII filters on a normal threaded lens, but I can't seem to find any that go the other way. Is it possible to adapt regular filters to the Series VII mount somehow so that I can use my normal filters? Or does anyone know the filter thread on the front of the lens?

Regards,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    The cable release socket has a plastic insulator that isolates the cable release from the flash sync power. It appears that the insulator with threads have failed and now gone. That cable release socket will need to be replaced or a threaded part made and pressed in place to replace the missing one.
    Ah, that makes sense. It should be no trouble to insert a piece of plastic in there and tap some threads. Thanks!

Filter ring adapters that convert Series threads to modern mm sizes are difficult to find but very useful when/if you do. In your case you'd need the Kodak press-on Series adapter that fits your lens first.